University of Colorado - School of Medicine
The Benke laboratory (http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleges/medicalschool/departments/Pharmacology/faculty/Pages/benke.aspx) is seeking an enthusiastic and inquisitive postdoctoral fellow interested in seizures in early life affect brain development to influence synaptic plasticity and behavior.
The candidate will work with the PI to design and implement projects and experiments to address questions that are central to our lab's interests and funding. The successful candidate will receive training in the application of cutting-edge neuroscience approaches, including but not limited to behavior, pharmacokinetics, biochemistry, immunohistology and acute slice electrophysiology to interrogate the impacts of early life seizures. These studies will influence our understanding and treatments of genetic and other disorders that cause seizures and epilepsy that result in intellectual disability, autism and similar neurocognitive impairments.
Specific Position Duties with Percentages of Time
[ 90 ]%
Studies to characterize the effects of early life seizures in rodents. Techniques/duties include but not limited to:
- seizure induction and associated rodent care
- rodent manipulations including drug delivery, stereotaxy, implants and euthanasia
- maintenance of rodent colony, genotyping
- preparation of brain slices from rodents
- electrophysiological recordings from brain slices
- biochemical analysis of brain slices
- immunohistology of brain slices
- behavioral studies in rodents
- cell culture
- analysis of data
- preparation of data for papers and presentations
- presentation of data at meetings
- maintenance of all required logs and notebooks of data and experiments
- highest ethical standards required for scientific research
[ 10 ]%
Supervision of PRA and students
- Assure PRA and student adhering to standard lab practice
- Supervise ordering of supplies by PRA
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a PhD or MD/PhD in molecular biology, neuroscience or other relevant field.
- Ability to perform the duties of the position
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Proven ability to work independently within a research lab
Desired or preferred:
Experience with any of the following:
- Rodent manipulations
- Electrophysiology (culture and acute slice)
- Rodent behavior
- Cell culture, immunohistology, western blotting
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 12827
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20120 - SOM - Pharmacology
Posting Date: Mar 5, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Jennifer Orsund
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00606605