Head Men's Basketball Coach
Macalester College, a NCAA Division III member of the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference is accepting applications for the position of Head Men’s Basketball Coach. This position will be responsible for leading and directing all phases of a successful and competitive Men’s Basketball program.
• Direct and lead all phases of a successful and competitive Men’s Basketball program
• Organize, prepare, and conduct safe and strategic training sessions and competitive strategies
• Execute appropriate coaching decisions during practices and competitions that ensure the welfare, health, safety, and success of the student athletes representing their program
• Develop a successful recruiting plan that shows results for the recruitment, yield, and retention
• Oversee, monitor, and balance the budget and all financial operations of the Men’s Basketball program
• Arrange and supervise transportation, lodging, and meals in connection with off-campus competitions
• Hire, supervise, and evaluate assistant coaches for the Men’s Basketball program
• Represents the College and its athletics program, with honesty, integrity and sportsmanship at all times, to various institutional programs and students, parents, the general public, alumni and external agencies
• Develop a positive, professional relationship with officials, league personnel, and coaching colleagues
• Direct and/or assist with the preparation and event management needs at home competitive events in Men’s Basketball
• Assist in the coordination of special events including recruiting, alumni, Mac Hac, and student-athlete recognition functions
• Works with other athletic departments to provide an outstanding work environment
• Work in an effective manner with other departments to aid in the development of a positive student athlete experience
• Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
• 3 - 5 years of coaching experience required.
• College coaching experience required. Head coaching experience preferred.
• Must have valid certification in NCAA rules test, CPR/AED, First Aid and Safety, Bloodborne pathogens safety, and van driver certification
• Knowledge and appreciation of a liberal arts education and an understanding of the role athletics and recreation play in a college committed to academic excellence and cultural diversity
• Previous experience developing competitive, effective, sustainable, and results oriented recruiting programs
• Effective teaching methods; excellent leadership, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills; and willingness to work on projects with faculty, administrators, and staff
• Must be proficient in computer based technology, including recruiting data management software
• Demonstrated knowledge and ability to work within the framework of Macalester College policies, MIAC (Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference) regulations, CWPA and NCAA Division III philosophy and rules
• Ability to manage and organize information necessary to the operations of the men’s basketball program, including organization of recruiting records
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with other departments to ensure a positive student-athlete experience
• Ability to work creatively and collaboratively with faculty, staff, students, and parents from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds
For best consideration, please submit resume and cover letter in one PDF through the Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage no later than March 16, 2018. Review of applications will begin immediately. This posting will remain open until filled.
Resumes and Cover Letters should be submitted by clicking "Apply for this position" below.
Questions about this position can be directed to (please do not send resume and cover letter to this email):
Kita Yang, Recruiter
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphases on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester is proud of its longstanding commitment to social justice and creating a safe environment for all people regardless of sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, gender, religion, age, or ability. Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities and women.
Macalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visit http://www.macalester.edu/employmentservices/benefits/ for more information about benefits at Macalester College.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the US upon employment start date.