Part-time Lab Instructor, EAP Speech and Writing
Job Title Part-time Lab Instructor, EAP Speech and Writing
Job ID 994776
Location North Campus
Full/Part Time Part-Time
STAFF - Support Staff
$12.22 - $16.62 (Based on degree earned)
English, Communications, and World Languages
Open Until Filled
Exempt - Not Eligible for Overtime Compensation
The Part-Time Lab Instructor provides academic support to students in non-transfer credit Speech and Writing Labs
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides orientation to students at the beginning of each semester on lab policies and requirements
- Plans and coordinates the use of equipment and materials for learning activities
- Assists students in reviewing the necessary skills for improving communication, listening, writing, grammar and accent improvement proficiencies in the ESL Speech and Writing labs
- Provides lab instruction and academic support through tutorials, lectures and demonstrations to students
- Tailors lab instruction and resources to meet specific needs of students
- Designs, teaches, supervises and marks lab assignments
- Develops workshops and/or group improvement sessions for speech and writing skills practice and development
- Provides feedback and recommendations to the Department Chairperson on the effectiveness of current and proposed lab software and resources
- Coordinates lab instruction and content with full-time and adjunct classroom Faculty
- Provides regular feedback to classroom Faculty on student performance in the labs, including specific needs and areas for improvement
- Supports lab coordinator in delivery of lab instructional objectives
- Provides documentation of student progress
- Generates student reports for final grade input
- Documents and reports inoperative program(s), computer malfunction(s), lab incidents and complaints
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in English Education or other related field. ESOL endorsement and/or one (1) year of teaching experience.
- Possess well-developed communication skills (Verbal and Written).
- Possess an aptitude for teaching and interest in working with students who are learning English as a Second Language.
- Possess knowledge and expertise with a broad range of ESL software programs and web-based sites for ESL language learning.
- Ability to maintain excellent interpersonal communication skills and to work in a multi-ethnic/multicultural environment.
- Two (2) years of experience teaching English to second language learners preferred