CLAS Building Manager Supervisor (Facilities Professional 2)
Job Title: CLAS Building Manager Supervisor (Facilities Professional 2)
Job ID: 2018423
Location: Storrs Campus
Within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS), the Building Manager Supervisor will oversee the smooth functioning of the Engineering Science Building (ESB), particularly the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th floor, in addition to managing the university's biology related buildings and building supervisors. This position serves as project manager and departmental liaison for specific projects; monitors and inspects projects with the responsibility to ensure contracted work is performed in compliance with all terms and obligations; and ensures departmental maintenance activities are completed in accordance with University policies. This position also serves as a liaison between the building occupants and facilities operations, inventory control, key control, custodial services, environmental health and safety, buildings and grounds, and the fire and public safety departments. While this position reports directly to CLAS, the successful incumbent will work cooperatively with the School of Engineering floor managers with the shared goal of an efficient and properly functioning building.
For more information regarding the new Engineering Science building, please visit https://today.uconn.edu/2017/04/new-engineering-science-building-nearing-completion/
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES
- Serves as project manager and departmental liaison for specific projects.
- Monitors and inspects projects performed on University property with responsibility to ensure contracted work is performed in compliance with contract terms and obligations and that departmental maintenance activities are completed is in accordance with University policies.
- Resolves most problems, referring only most complex problems to supervisor.
- Consults with and provides technical support to University personnel to determine physical facility requirements for their activities, specifically adding expertise needed to serve biology labs.
- Manage the general facilities needs for the five buildings that are fully or partially occupied by biology departments.
- Supervise the two biology building mangers including providing performance evaluation and guidance. The expectation is that the building managers will remain independent with leadership and assistance from the Building Manager Supervisor as needed. This position will provide guidance through the year, and help solve difficult building issues.
- Serve as liaison with Engineering floor managers.
- Inspect the building daily to monitor condition of building and facilities. Serves as initial point of contact for building occupants for all routine and emergency maintenance and repair requests. Initiate work orders to the University's Facilities Operations to describe, correct and follow-up on issues. Monitor and interact with the building Management System.
- May maintain databases for processing, summarizing and reporting data, as an aid in administrative planning and decision-making.
- Responsible for building security, including maintenance of keys and the electronic security system; work closely with the Key Control Department.
- Serve as point of contact and troubleshoot problems which arise regarding safety of building or laboratory facilities; serve as department contact for EH&S; attend laboratory safety training and ensure staff training is up to date; apply knowledge of hazardous material safety and handling information as it relates to duties of the Building Manager.
- Serve as the building's asset manager; serve as primary contact to inventory control; record and track all assets; perform an annual physical inventory audit; and record, organize, and monitor the disposal of equipment.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Bachelor's degree, plus five years experience in the appropriate discipline.
- Demonstrated ability or three years experience supervising technical personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to satisfactorily complete increasingly complex projects.
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize and resolve problems of a highly technical and administrative nature.
- Knowledge of various computer applications, specifically the Microsoft Office suite.
- General understanding of building systems, power tools, and woodworking equipment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with other facilities managers and maintenance providers.
- Experience supporting a BSL/2 laboratory.
- Experience in a university environment.
This is a full-time, 12-month position. The University offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits including employee and dependent tuition waiver at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment. Salary will be commensurate with successful candidate's background and experience.
Please apply online at UConn Jobs at www.jobs.uconn.edu, Staff Positions to submit a letter of application, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references. Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search # 2018423) The position will remain open until filled.
This posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. March 19, 2018.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honor students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and instates serve the University's teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn's ranking as one of the nation's top research universities. UConn's faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.