JOB NO.: 93669-AS
Work Type: Staff-Full Time
Categories: Computer Science, Information Systems/Technology
Employment Class: Academic Staff-Renewable
Position Vacancy ID: 93669-AS
Working Title: Developer/Software Engineer
Official Title: SYSTEMS PROGRAMMER(T32DN) or ASSOC SYSTEMS PRGRMMR(T32FN)
Hiring Department: A346120-VCRGE/GLBRC
Anticipated Begin Date: APRIL 07, 2018
Term: This is a renewable appointment.
Minimum $55,000 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
Degree and Area of Specialization:
Bachelor's Degree Required. B.S. in Computer Science or related field preferred.
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
- Minimum 1-year experience designing and building data-driven web applications, preferably with Ruby on Rails or similar MVC framework
- Knowledge of object-oriented programming techniques
- Database design and knowledge of SQL
- Experience developing in a team environment using Git-based version control and software development lifecycle methodologies
- Ability to apply logical thinking to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw conclusions
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and assignments in parallel and adapt quickly to changing priorities
- Experience with code reviews, process-driven development methodologies and automated testing (RSpec, Junit, Cucumber, etc.) preferred
- Experience working in a virtual and devops environments utilizing virtual machines, containers, and continuous integration/deployment tools preferred
- Experience working with Linux and the command line preferred
- Experience working in a Scrum agile development environment preferred
- Knowledge of biology and/or statistics a plus
License or certificate:
The Great Lakes Bioenergy Research Center (GLBRC) is a Department of Energy center established to conduct fundamental research on microbial and plant systems to create biofuels. The GLBRC is housed at the University of Wisconsin, Madison with collaborators at several national labs and other universities.
As a member of the Information Services (IS) team supporting research teams of faculty, staff, post docs, and graduate students, the Developer/Software Engineer will build and implement systems and applications to support the research and operational objectives of the GLBRC. The position requires a highly motivated team player who will help architect custom web-based applications and databases for use by GLBRC researchers and operations staff.
This position will report to the GLBRC IS Coordinator and work closely with the Lead Developer and other technical staff within the IS team.
This position requires the ability to work both in a team and independently and the ability to communicate and collaborate with members of an inter-disciplinary team. Willingness and ability to rapidly learn new skills, concepts, and technologies is essential. This position offers an opportunity to play an important role in creating a keystone research center for the first great national challenge of the 21st century, sustainable energy independence. For additional information regarding the GLBRC, visit our website: http://www.glbrc.org.
Instructions to applicants:
Please click on the "Apply Now" button to begin the application process. You will be asked to upload a resume and cover letter.
Additional Link: Full Position Details
NOTE: A Period of Evaluation will be Required
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Advertised: Mar 5 2018 Central Standard Time
Application Close: Apr 2 2018 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time