Emergency Services Officer
Requisition # 2018-8549
Department PPPL Office of the Director
Category Public Safety, Security, and Emergency Services
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
The Princeton University Plasma Physics Laboratory, a world-leading fusion energy research center under contract with the U. S. Department of Energy (DOE), invites applications for an Emergency Services Officer. Under the direction of a supervisor, provides specialized security, fire protection, emergency medical care, and other protective services. Performs investigations and documents the results. Responsibilities of this position occur in all weather conditions and potential hazardous environments created by emergency situations. During emergency events, may be required to assume a position in the Incident Command System. Must maintain personal physical standards required to meet the potentially rigorous challenges of this position. In addition, must maintain training and certifications to meet federal, state and PPPL requirements
- Patrols PPPL facilities (in vehicle or on foot) to protect employees, subcontractors, visitors and University and Government property.
- Monitors access to PPPL facilities and restricted areas; and maintains order at special functions.
- Enforces Property Pass Program in accordance with Laboratory requirements.
- Enforces University and PPPL parking and traffic regulations.
- Monitors the performance parameters of selected experimental and operational equipment to ensure proper operation. Identifies equipment or systems operating outside of the specified parameters and notifies the Communication Officer.
- Performs the responsibilities of Communications Officer.
- Assists visitors by providing information and direction as necessary.
- Conducts investigations of security related incidents as directed by a supervisor.
- Responds to fire and additional security alarms, emergency medical incidents, and other events requiring assistance.
- HS Diploma or GED (General Education Diploma).
- A minimum of three (3) years firefighter experience in a paid or volunteer fire company.
- Possesses excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- A minimum of one (1) year EMT experience is required.
- NFPA Fire Fighter 1 certification.
- State of New Jersey EMT-B/D Certification.
- Hazardous Materials Awareness and Operations Training.
- A Professional Level CPR Certification.
- ICS 200 certification.
- NIMS 700/800 certification.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- At least one (1) year of security experience (Preferred).
The final candidate will be required to complete successfully; a background check, completion of NFPA 1582 Medical Qualifications, the initial mandatory drug testing and random drug tests thereafter and the completion of PPPL Initial and Annual Agility Testing.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
IFF-International Fire Fighters
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are, therefore, unable or limited in your ability to use or access this system, you can request a reasonable accommodation by calling a Human Resources team member at (609) 258-2101.
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory requires some candidates to complete a physical capacity exam successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of physical capacity exam may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is a residential community and an employer that operates continuously 24 hours a day. Essential services employees perform jobs that are necessary and required to maintain basic University operations during scheduled closures or unscheduled suspension of normal operations due to emergencies, events, or other situations. Essential services employees may be asked and/or required to perform jobs or duties that fall outside of their normal job classification during an emergency event. Learn more about our Essential Services policy.
Go to Princeton University careers site.