Communications - DIRECTOR, PARK CENTER FOR INDEPENDENT MEDIA
Vacancy ID S2196 Job Title DIRECTOR, PARK CENTER FOR INDEPENDENT MEDIA Working Title Department Communications School/Parent Organization Communications Parent Org Division Provost and Academic Affairs Division Employment Category Fulltime-Regular Anticipated start date 05/29/2018 If temporary, expected end date Hours per week 37.5 Weeks Per Year 52.2 Normal Start Time 8:30 AM Normal End Time 5:00 PM Position/Job Summary
Ithaca College's Roy H. Park School of Communications is seeking a Director of the Park Center for Independent Media to oversee the operations and coordinate all activities of the Center. The successful candidate will support the Center's national profile and enhance its national and international reputation; facilitate courses and/or workshops on US-based independent media during the academic year and supervise summer independent/progressive media internships; manage the judging and presentation of the annual Izzy Award that recognizes outstanding contributors advancing independent journalism; program the Center's independent journalism media speaker's series; and conduct research in independent media.
A complete prospectus can be found here.
1. Administer the academic, organizational, and public activities of the Park Center for Independent Media in collaboration with the Dean of the Roy H. Park School of Communications.
2. Maintain and increase the Center's national and international profile as a vector for discussions about independent media sectors; heighten its reputation among journalism schools and the professional journalism media community nationwide through media interviews, publication of articles, public presentations, web site, social media, and outreach to local, national and international media organizations and journalists.
3. Work with chair of the Journalism Department to develop and teach occasional courses and/or workshops in the areas of independent, community, and non-corporate journalism and media.
4. Supervise and coordinate the independent media internship program; develop internships with diverse media organizations. Mentor students during the internship search process. Serve as advisor to students in internships. Explore opportunities to integrate students in the Park Scholar program within the scope of the academic and organizational mandates of the Center.
5. Oversee the selection, judging, and presentation process of the annual Izzy Award for Outstanding Achievement in Independent Media as well as the I.F. Stone Hall of Fame.
6. Develop, demonstrate, and promote multicultural awareness and contribute to cultivating an inclusive, diverse and respectful College community. Demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion as a college priority, communicate to employees an expectation of behavior that is civil and inclusive when interacting with all staff, faculty, students and visitors and promote a flexible, collaborative and inclusive work and living environment.
7. Establish long and short-range program goals and objectives to ensure overall effectiveness and national impact of the Center. Seek to advance PCIM in its second phase of development to further integrate with the Ithaca College academic community
8. Maintain a national profile for the Center, the Park School and Ithaca College by producing articles for publication in scholarly and trade journals, magazines, newspapers, and web sites, appearing in media interviews.
9. Supervise the preparation of promotional materials for the Center, the programming of guest speakers, and the mounting of award presentations. Create specialized programs, seminars, and speaking engagements designed to bring professional journalists to campus in order to facilitate interaction with Ithaca College students, faculty, and the community.
10. Prepare an annual report and analyses for the Dean, as well as external constituencies.
11. Identify, monitor, and develop grant opportunities that may provide funding to projects associated with independent media at the Center, in collaboration with the Dean.
12. Serve as the primary\liaison between the Center and other departments, offices, and programs, on the Ithaca College campus as well as to outside media organizations.
Master's degree and a minimum of 5 years significant professional experience; a strong record of professional or scholarly excellence in the production and/or study of independent media in the area of journalism; extensive administrative experience in the area of academic or nonprofit programs or initiatives; Ability to cultivate an inclusive, diverse and welcoming environment; ability to treat all people equitably and with a sensitivity and awareness to cultural difference; demonstrated ability to hold others accountable for behavior that is supportive of a community that is diverse and inclusive; demonstrated collaborative leadership skills that will support the development of national partnerships with independent media producers and scholars and exceptional written and verbal communication skills are required.
Ph.D. or other appropriate academic terminal degree; familiarity with emerging trends in independent media and multiple forms of journalistic content production; and a record of professional interaction with college audiences or teaching excellence at the college level strongly preferred.
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.
Instructions for submitting your application:
Interested applicants must apply online at http://ithaca.edu/jobs/ and attach a resume and cover letter. Questions about online application should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (607) 274-8000. Screening of applications will begin immediately. To ensure full consideration, complete applications should be received by January 15, 2018.
Work authorization (select one): Visa sponsorship is not provided for this position Department description College Description
At Ithaca College, a comprehensive residential campus community of 6,500 students, we strive to be at the forefront of the higher education landscape. We offer a distinct integrative learning experience that makes students ready for the personal, professional, and global challenges of our age.
We seek candidates who embrace integrative learning and want to be a part of this exciting time in Ithaca College history. We encourage creative collaboration and innovation in our faculty and staff, providing support and resources for them to grow in their fields and lead students to their own innovative ideas and achievements.
We welcome different ways of thinking and look for candidates with unique points of view and life experiences. We are inclusive of individuals with a wide range of cultural, personal, and professional backgrounds, talents, and skills. Our campus is a vibrant and rewarding community where diverse minds can learn, succeed, and excel.
When reviewing candidates, we are looking for indicators of a number of core competencies. Prospective candidates must be adaptable, collaborative, inclusive, respectful, responsive, results driven, and sustainable. They must communicate effectively, demonstrate leadership, exhibit professional integrity and ethics, take initiative, value personal and professional development, and show that they will engage in the college.
Nestled in the heart of New York State's scenic Finger Lakes region, Ithaca College sits atop South Hill overlooking picturesque Cayuga Lake and is just minutes away from the city center. Combining small town warmth and charm with the vibrancy of a college community, the thriving and culturally diverse city of Ithaca has been rated by Kiplinger's as one of the top 10 places to live in the United States.
To learn more about Ithaca College, visit us at http://ithaca.edu
Market Hiring Range $80,000 - $85,000 FLSA Status Exempt Is this position eligible for benefits? Yes
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).