Transfer Admissions Counselor
Posting Date January 3, 2018
Position Title Transfer Admissions Counselor
Vacancy # V-1405
Department Undergraduate Admissions
Division Student Devel And Campus Life
Under the direction of the Senior Assistant Director for Operations & Transfer Services, this position recruits prospective freshman and transfer students and evaluates transfer credits/credentials upon students' admission to Montclair State University. This position requires a work schedule consisting of evenings, weekends, and overtime during peak periods of operation.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Reviews and processes applications; makes determinations of eligibility and recommends admission and/or approval of the applicant to the university for a particular program
- Coordinates transfer work operations, evaluates academic transcripts for course equivalencies, maintains and organizes documentation
- Screens, verifies, and evaluates data on admissions applications and transcript materials
- Assists in the development and delivery of on and off-campus events and programs
- Represents the college by participating in or speaking at conferences, meetings, seminars, etc.
- Recruits at high schools and community colleges within the tri-state area
- Advises and counsels applicants regarding program offerings, activities, and services
- Possesses the ability to understand, analyze, interpret and apply established law, college policies and procedures, regulation, precedents, and guidelines
- Facilitates initial communication between accepted students and academic advisement to assure a positive transition that leads to matriculation
- Prepares clear, technically sound, accurate and informative reports containing findings, conclusions, recommendations, and prepare correspondence
- Maintains essential and confidential records and files
- Serves on ad hoc and standing university committees
- Manages special populations and their admissions process as assigned
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principle functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor's degree required from a regionally accredited college/university
- At least three years of related experience, preferably in a higher education setting. A Master's degree may be substituted for up to two years of experience.
- Experience with various computer programs, including Microsoft Office products and an integrated student information system; a demonstrated ability to learn new systems.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Exceptional organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to think independently;
- A strong interest in working in a fast-paced, service-oriented, diverse environment;
- Retain the ability to think creatively and analytically to continuously improve services and information provided to prospective students and their parents;
- A valid driver's license and full-time access to a vehicle.
- A Master's degree from a regionally accredited college/university.
- Direct experience with the recruitment of students in a college setting; experience working with transfer students and processing transfer credit evaluations.
- Experience with Ellucian Recruiter, Banner, and Degree Works is highly desirable.
Commensurate with experience.
Anticipated Start Date Open until position is filled.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
*When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).*
Apply By Review will begin immediately and continues until position is filled.
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION