Associate Dean, College Of Education
Position Title: Associate Dean, College Of Education
Position Number: 001414
Full-time or Part-time: Full Time
Department: College of Education
Posting Number: 0401209
SHRA/EHRA: EHRA (Non-Faculty)
Job Category: Professional
Hiring Range: Commensurate with Education and Experience
Minimum salary: Commensurate with Education and Experience
Maximum salary: Commensurate with Education and Experience
Overall Position Competency: Flat Rate
Description of primary duties and responsibilities:
Primary Purpose of the Organizational Unit:
Fayetteville State University is a leading institution of opportunity and diversity committed to developing learned responsible global citizens. The primary mission of the university is to provide students with the highest quality learning experiences that will produce global citizens and leaders as change agents for shaping the future. The College of Education prepares knowledgeable, reflective, and caring professionals in the fields of education, research, and service. Completers, prepared by highly qualified faculty and through participation in prescribed activities, cutting edge instructional practices offered through multiple modes of delivery, on-going assessments, and field-based internships, have the knowledge, skills, and dispositions to support student learning within a framework of family and community (including the military) and are able to participate in a diverse, technological, and global society. The COE proudly prepares transformational educators and leaders through licensure only options and degrees at the bachelors, masters, and doctoral levels for the southeastern region of the state, nation, and the global community.
Primary Purpose of the Position:
The Associate Dean is a full-time, tenure track, 12-month administrative position that reports to the Dean of the College. This position interacts with faculty, administrators, staff, students, alumni, other University constituencies, and outside agencies. Assists the Dean with the management of administrative functions of the College of Education. Collaborates with the Dean on planning college strategic initiatives and participates in college fundraising. Provides COE administrative leaders support in areas of curriculum development, institutional assessment and improvement, human resource management, faculty/staff development and performance appraisals, budget and finance, and facilities planning and management.
Description of Work Continued:
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Associate Dean must exhibit initiative, enthusiasm, and teamwork in accomplishing the following responsibilities:
• Participate actively in planning, research, and evaluation in support of the COE.
• Collaboratively developing and inputting data in the unit's Operational Plan and Assessment Record (OPAR).
• Provide leadership in recruiting, overseeing hiring processes, and onboarding quality faculty dedicated to teaching, service, and research.
• Assist in the development of the budget and is responsible for the effective management of budget programs within the COE.
• Participates actively in the evaluation of faculty, staff, and other personnel.
• Seek and develop grants designed to support the priorities of the unit.
• Prepare annual reports (i.e. Title II, IHE, CAEP, etc).
• Coordinate the scheduling of courses.
• Encourage, support and establish academic partnerships with K-12, 4-year institutions, and businesses and industry.
• Support the Dean in building and maintaining external relations with alumni and community partners.
• Assists the Dean in monitoring and ensuring strict compliance to accreditation standards and requirements.
• Works collaboratively with all stakeholders to maintain and articulate a vision of excellence in the COE.
• Maintain a collegial and collaborative working relationship with FSU administrative offices, such as admissions, financial aid, registrar, career services, etc.
• Serve on and/or chair COE committees, such as CAEP Standard Committees, COE Graduate Council, American Education Week, Excellence in Teaching Conference, Faculty Evaluation Ad-Hoc, as well as on the Dean's Administrative Team
• Teach one course per semester.
• Represent the unit in the absence of the Dean.
• Perform other tasks or special projects as assigned by the Dean.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
Earned doctorate in one of the academic field in education; credentials to qualify for tenure at the associate/full professorship rank; minimum of three years of experience in an administrative role in higher education with faculty and/or staff supervisory responsibilities.
Knowledge skills and abilities:
• Extensive research experience and an ongoing research agenda; substantial grants and/or contracts experience; demonstrated management and budgetary experience with grants and/or contracts; demonstrated excellence in teaching in higher education; understanding of shared governance, academic personnel issues, and curricular matters; effective leadership and communication skills; and excellent interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrate excellent writing, research, communication, analytical and problem-solving skills, with an ability to work effectively at all levels of the university, including senior administrators, faculty, staff and students.
• Have a working knowledge of state, regional and national accreditation processes to include Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction (NCDPI), and Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP)
• Display and exhibit excellent interpersonal skills and/or dispositions
• Capable of resolving escalated issues arising from operations and requiring coordination with other departments
• 5 years of experience as a department chair, research/program director and/or academic dean (i.e., assistant or associate dean)
• Experienced PK-12 teacher (with current or expired teaching credentials)
• A successful track record of grant writing and securing external funding for educational purposes
• Experience conducting and reporting results of accreditation self-studies such as CAEP/NCATE, SACS, etc.
Open Until Filled: Yes
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have an earned doctorate in one of the College's disciplines or a closely related discipline from an accredited college or university?
- * Do you posses a minimum of three years of experience in an administrative role in higher education with faculty and/or staff supervisory responsibilities?
- * Do you have current and/or expired teaching credentials?
- * Do you have experience in grant writing?
- * If yes, please given the total number and mount of grants you have been awarded.
(Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Other Document
This position is subject to the successful completion of an employment background check. An employment background check includes a criminal background check, employment verification, reference checks, license verification (if applicable), academic verification and credit history check (if applicable).
Fayetteville State University is committed to equality of educational opportunity and employment and does not discriminate against applicants, students, or employees based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status. Moreover, Fayetteville State University values diversity and actively seeks to recruit talented students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds.
Fayetteville State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and seeks priority referrals of protected veterans for our openings.