Course Instructor, Philosophy/Critical Thinking
WGU seeks Course Faculty instructors with a successful track record teaching in higher education to work with our General Education – Philosophy and Critical Thinking students.
Course Instructors at WGU function as subject matter experts who assist students as they engage specific sections of the WGU curriculum. The Course Instructors do not develop WGU courses, construct tests, or grade assessments. Their primary focus is on bringing WGU courses of study to life through one-to-one or one-to-many engagements.
The successful course instructor starts all decisions with students in mind. They innovate as they drive results. They engage in ongoing learning, act with urgency and integrity on behalf of the university, and take ownership of outcomes and strategies. Course Faculty instructors inspire and develop students, and they earn the trust of students and colleagues at WGU.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Proactively provide coaching, support, and subject matter expertise to students enrolled in assigned course;
- Communicate professionally, relate well, and share a passion for Philosophy to motivate a diverse and large group of students;
- Respond to student inquiries about content, learning resources, or assessment in a timely manner;
- Provide relevant information on student tasks based on feedback from assessment graders;
- Provide additional resources to students based on content expertise while maintaining the students' responsibility for task competency;
- Maintain current and active knowledge in assigned course in order to bring examples and ideas to students.
- A PhD in Philosophy, Critical Thinking, Ethics, or Logic is required.
- Teaching experience in a higher-education setting, ideally with adult learners
- Subject matter expertise in Philosophy/Critical Thinking
- Is a team player and collaborates well with others to achieve a common goal
- Strong verbal communication skills with ability to present information clearly, concisely, and accurately; friendly, persuasive speaking style
- Comfortable with collecting, analyzing, and using quantitative information to enhance the student experience
- Thrives in a dynamic, innovative work environment
- Must be technologically competent: experience using Outlook email and calendar, online teaching platforms, video conferencing tools, and MS Office is required
WORK FROM HOME, United States