Instructional Communication Assistant Professor
California State University, Fresno
College of Arts and Humanities
Vacancy # 13438
California State University, Fresno is an engaged University. We focus on broadening students' intellectual horizons, fostering lifelong learning skills, developing the leaders of tomorrow, promoting community involvement, and instilling an appreciation of world cultures. We nurture cultural competence by celebrating the rich diversity of the campus community and welcoming the participation of all. Members of the University community are expected to work effectively with faculty, staff and students from diverse ethnic, cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds. For information on the University's commitment and dedication to creating a university known for its integrity, civility, equity, respect and ethical behavior, please visit: http://www.fresnostate.edu/academics/diversity
- Available for Academic Year: 2018/2019.
- Fresno State has been recognized as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI); an Asian American/Native American/Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI); and has been designated to the Community Engagement Classification by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
- Faculty members gain a clear path to tenure through the University's Probationary Plan Process.
- Salary placement depends upon academic preparation and professional experience.
- California State University, Fresno is a vibrant and growing campus.When necessary, the University may decide to make more than one faculty appointment from a single search.
The Department of Communication at California State University, Fresno offers a blend of qualitative, quantitative, and rhetorical approaches to the study of human communication from a range of traditional, contemporary, and critical perspectives. The program presents a balance of humanistic and scientific instruction, conducts theoretical and applied research, and provides training in the communication skills students need to function effectively in teaching, business, law, the communication professions, public service, politics, and management. Underrepresented candidates are encouraged to apply, and Fresno State offers health benefits to same-sex and different-sex domestic partners and spouses. For more information on the Department of Communication, visit http://www.fresnostate.edu/artshum/communication/
Required Education: An earned doctorate (Ph.D. or Ed.D.) is required; however, applicants nearing completion of the doctorate (ABD) may be considered. For appointment, the doctorate must be completed by the date of appointment (8/16/2018).
Required Experience:	1) Expertise in instructional communication;
2) Successful teaching experience at the undergraduate level;
3) Demonstrated scholarly activity (e.g., conference presentations or publications); and
4) Ability to demonstrate a commitment to working effectively with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
Preferred Qualifications:	1) A Ph.D. in Communication or other closely-related discipline from an accredited institution (or equivalent) is preferred, and an Ed.D. with the required experience will also be considered;
2) Emphasis in communication and learning;
3) Competency in the practice of culturally responsive teaching; and
4) Demonstrated commitment to pedagogy that integrates technology into teaching and learning.
Application Procedures: Review of applications will begin March 15, 2018, and will continue until the position is filled. To apply, applicants must complete an online application at http://jobs.fresnostate.edu and attach the following:	1) a cover letter specifically addressing required experience and preferred qualifications;
2) a curriculum vitae;
3) evidence of teaching effectiveness (e.g., teaching philosophy, quantitative ratings of instruction, peer evaluations);
4) up to two samples of scholarly work;
5) unofficial graduate transcripts; and
6) a list of three professional references.
Finalists will be required to submit three current letters of recommendation.For inquiries, contact: Dr. Katherine L. Adams, Search Committee Chair; Department of Communication; California State University, Fresno; 5201 N. Maple Avenue, M/S SA 46; Fresno, CA 93740-8027; Phone: 559-278-4546; Email: [email protected].
Other: In compliance with the Annual Security Report &amp; Fire Safety Report of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Fresno has made crime-reporting statistics available to applicants, students, and employees on-line at http://www.fresnostate.edu/police/clery/index.shtml. Print copies are available by request from the Campus Police Department.
A background check (including criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily for this position. An offer of employment may be withdrawn or employment may be terminated based upon the results of the background investigation.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment. You can obtain a copy of this Executive order by accessing the following web site: http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-1083.html.
Fresno State is a tobacco-free, smoke-free and vapor-free campus.
California State University, Fresno is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.