Innovations/System Senior Engineer
Job ID: 33104
Location: San Francisco, California
The Innovation/AV Systems Engineer will be responsible for direct support of digital communication AV services and support activities at the Northwestern San Francisco campus, and operates out of the San Francisco location. This support portfolio falls primarily in three areas: (1) AV & technical support of the pedagogical and event needs of the campus 2) support of the cloud-based applications delivering multimedia content that introduces visitors to the stories about Northwestern University, and (3) physical support of the installed hardware at the San Francisco Campus. Responsibilities include providing first and second tier support for all users of digital technologies in San Francisco; engaging with innovation in pedagogical and event presentation, as well as display systems; supporting all custom software, all AV services, and AV technical support for the San Francisco Campus. In partnership with administrative staff, this position is also responsible for overall event coordination, client consulting and arranging for the appropriate interaction with third party and vendor support resources as needed and requested, including basic training for staff, faculty, students and other end users, and developing and maintaining both point-of-service and on-line documentation.
Please Note: Must be able to climb on a ladder to a height of 20 feet. Must be able to carry heavy hardware such as CPUs, Printers, paper cartons (30-50 lbs). Individual will be required to be on feet for extended lengths of time. Must be open to working evening and or weekend hours in a flex structure for event support.
- This position will be responsible for service delivery and quality assurance for all AV technology in the San Francisco site. Support includes classroom AV and computer support for faculty, students and staff, Broadcast Studio for both broadcast and distance learning, audio/video conferencing support, lecture-capture support, and events support. Where appropriate, this position may be expected to fulfill similar roles at other satellite campus locations.
- This position will track and resolve incident and service requests related for all AV, audio, and other technology that supports the campus using Northwestern IT protocol. This position is critical in establishing and performing functions related to Service Request Fulfillment, Incident Resolution, Change Management, and all service management functions and tasks related to the technology at the San Francisco site. Will offer computer support, audio/video conferencing support, lecture-capture support, and events support. Where appropriate, this position may be expected to fulfill similar roles at other satellite campus locations.
- This position will work on other innovative AV media, software development projects and web services that are contracted for by Northwestern departments, as specified by the supervising manager.
- This position responds to requests and reports escalated for immediate assistance and service fulfillment. May serve to co-ordinate and resolve issues escalated to other units. Support includes routine diagnostic functions and defined maintenance actions. Monitors site technology performance and takes appropriate corrective action as required on a daily basis in the San Francisco site. Responsible for quality control of day-to-day operations such as access, schedules, equipment checkout (Using Webcheckout) and basic training and orientations for any supported technology in the San Francisco site.
- This position works directly with scheduled faculty and event coordinators to arrange for customized AV, distance learning and broadcast support for classes, events and other activities as needed. Evening or weekend support may be required for special and high-profile activities. Fields questions from faculty, staff and students about software and hardware related to the facility. (Adobe Creative Suite, SPSS, SAS, broadcast video equipment, camera field gear, and innovation and maker space hardware i.e. 3D printers).
Performs other duties as assigned.
- A bachelor's degree in an analytical field or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience from which comparable skills can be acquired.
- Three years related professional experience in the AV industry.
- Two years demonstrated knowledge of video conferencing systems and technical proficiency in computing and networking technologies (Windows and Apple OSX).
- One year demonstrated knowledge of networked web based software development environments such as Wordpress.
- Three years demonstrated experience in troubleshooting Software VC and AV system problems under pressure.
- Must be able to work closely with student employees.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Communication-Oral and Written
- Customer focus
- Problem Solving
- Ability to manage multiple tasks while maintaining focus and understanding with tasks have been assigned priority
- 3-5 years related professional experience with AV, Broadcast video equipment, camera field gear, and/or software systems support.
- Experience working in a higher education environment.
- Experience with managing high profile events with presentation technology, external vendors and on-site event support
- Demonstrated experience with client management, coordinating technology resources and support for events.
- Experience with Bluescape, wireless presentation systems and interactive technologies using Bluetooth and WiFi
- Wordpress knowledge and certification
- Working knowledge of Wordpress, Drupal, or other similar content management systems
- Crestron Certifications
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Communication – Oral/Written – Ability to effectively communicate to summarize activities and coordinate planned activities.
- Ability to maintain respectful and effective working relationships with a variety of parties throughout the University community, on all campuses.
- Highly successful problem assessment and solution implementation under high pressure conditions
- Work will in team setting
- Ability to maintain focus on highest priorities in the face of competing demands
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
All resumes for this position must be received through the electronic recruiting system. For consideration, please click on the link below. You will be directed to Northwestern University's electronic recruiting system, myHR, where you will search and apply for current openings. To apply for this position in myHR, enter the requisition number or the position title in the appropriate search field. Once you apply, you will receive an email confirming submission of your resume. For all resumes received, if there is interest in your candidacy, the human resources recruiter or the department hiring manager will contact you. Requisition number for this position is # 33104