Assistant Director of Alumni Relations
Assistant Director of Alumni Relations
Department: School of Leadership and Education Sciences (SOLES)
The Assistant Director of Alumni Relations will be the primary point person for alumni affairs within the School of Leadership and Education Sciences (SOLES), focusing on the development and implementation of effective alumni engagement strategies and is a key member of the Development and Alumni Relations staff.
Working in concert with personnel in University Relations, the Assistant Director will jointly manage outreach, communication and records, and ensure effective knowledge sharing about SOLES alumni matters across the university. This individual will take a hands-on approach regarding alumni engagement opportunities by establishing, enhancing and expanding internal university relationships with Career Services, Program Directors, Executive Directors, Area Chairs, Faculty and corporate representatives to ensure productive volunteer involvement for internships, career placement and advancement, sponsorships, guest lecturing, mentoring and fundraising. Additional responsibilities may include community outreach and SOLES promotional and reputation-building activities. The incumbent will be responsible for full execution of strategy and tactics and measurable results.
The Assistant Director of Alumni Relations reports to the Director of Development for SOLES. The Assistant Director of Alumni Relations may periodically be asked to supervise staff and student workers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Management of SOLES Alumni and Affinity Groups
• Engage domestic and international alumni by coordinating and implementing new and existing alumni outreach opportunities, programs and services designed to foster a lifelong connection between alumni and the SOLES and in conjunction with USD's central Alumni Relations office.
• Establish and maintain regional champion volunteers in areas outside of San Diego with significant alumni populations. Coordinate volunteer programs and services to engage and cultivate a national and international network of alumni volunteers.
• Form key alumni relationships/partnerships to maximize representation of the SOLES and USD. Work with student organizations to instill and promote life-long participation and networking and to create volunteer participation opportunities for alumni.
• Manage all aspects of the SOLES focus groups (or equivalent) including its members, scheduling and facilitating meetings, internal/external events. Track member progress on projects to ensure that tasks are completed and goals are being met.
• Elevate both SOLES and University Relations through productive collaboration and cooperation with central University Relations, graduate and undergraduate programs, centers and institutes, aligning activities with the overall strategic engagement goals of the SOLES and USD. Proactively inform, advise and collaborate with graduate program leadership, career services, SOLES faculty and student organizations.
• Actively identify and act on opportunities to highlight, promote and publicize SOLES alumni and accomplishments with University Relations and Advancement to increase recognition and exposure for both SOLES and alumni.
• Identify, cultivate, build, manage, support and execute successful individual specific engagement activities, alumni events and programs.
• Track and report key performance measurements and alumni interactions in Advance database.
• Create, schedule, budget and travel to meet with alumni, host and/or represent SOLES at alumni events and homecoming, support alumni chapters in various cities, and related events.
• Working cooperatively with Dean and Director of Development act as primary contact for regional champions. Facilitate prospect identification and cultivation activities of volunteers
• Develop, promote and implement small group/industry/topic specific networking activities for mid-profession and C-level alumni, parents and corporate representatives
• Collaborate and partner with University Relations and other campus SOLES events and activities to identify potential donor prospects
• Proactively promote, engage, track and acknowledge alumni participation in University and campus SOLES partner collaborative events, seminars, speaker series, celebrations, etc.
• Participate and collaborate in periodic strategic planning sessions and reviews with Dean, Director of Development and University Relations to maximize use of SOLES' limited resources targeted to increase alumni involvement and financial support
• Coordinate with alumni volunteers and internal SOLES representatives in the implementation and successful production of development and/or alumni related SOLES special events.
Outreach and Communication to Alumni
• In cooperation with University Relations and SOLES Marketing Director participate in a comprehensive alumni communications strategy utilizing e-newsletters, alumni websites, and online communities. Manage the SOLES's alumni social networking channels, including LinkedIn, and Facebook pages. Monitor emerging social networking tools and applications to recommend new channels to pursue. Collect, write, and edit content for targeted publications
• Create and disseminate periodic updates to alumni
• Cooperatively partner with SOLES Director of Marketing and Communications to ensure consistency of brand, messaging and content
• Serve as the administrative lead for the SOLES LinkedIn group
• Review daily press clippings to identify newsworthy items about the SOLES and alumni
• Cooperatively partner with graduate program recruitment activities by representing SOLES at events, programs and other activities
• Other duties as assigned
• Minimum Qualifications: Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree.
• Experience: 3 years of experience in alumni relations and non-profit/volunteer management or equivalent.
• Preferred Qualifications: Education: Undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university, with a strong preference for studies in a business discipline.
• Experience: 5 years of experience in alumni relations and/or marketing, plus an extensive background in the use of social media and direct e-mail software for communications and engagement purposes. Experience with iModules desirable.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Strong Interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills
• Self-motivated and self-directed
• Goal oriented
• Sense of urgency
• Ability to work collaboratively and collegially with alumni, faculty, staff, and students
•A commitment to the values-based educational mission of the SOLES and USD
• Event management knowledge and skills
• Strong time and budget management and negotiation skills
• Familiarity and skill with donor database systems
• Strong organizational and multitasking skills to plan, prioritize, manage and complete a variety of projects.
• Demonstrates good judgement, problem solving and decision-making skills
• Exemplary customer service standards
• Ability to assume responsibility and effectively resolve problems
• Comfortable with change x Detail oriented, organized, and accurate
• Willing to work extra hours and travel as needed
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Salary: Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Hours: 40 hours per week
Closing date: Open Until Filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visitwww.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers' review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at [email protected]