Director of Residential & Community Life
Bridgewater College is seeking a Director of Residential and Community Life to serve as a member of the Student Life team and to be responsible for the comprehensive oversight of Residence Life while supporting the holistic engagement of students outside the classroom. Additionally, this position is expected to establish collaborative partnerships across campus and provide the vision and strategic direction for Residence Life in a manner that is directly linked with the Student Life curriculum and the College’s strategic plan. This is a full-time 12-month position, reporting to the Associate Dean of Students.
- Oversee and guide the direction of the residence life program including supervision of the Assistant Director and 4 Area Coordinators.
- Focus leadership around the delivery of a quality program built on best practices for residence life programs that bring value and impact: student retention, engagement, facility management, student employee training and development, and training programs for all levels of staff.
- Employ and utilize opportunities to develop sustainable initiatives that connect academic and other departments as well as programs to the lived experience of students.
- Manage and monitor the various systems in place to provide security in the residence halls, student conduct, student outreach by residence life staff, and retention initiatives.
- Participate in the campus emergency on call system.
- Oversee the emergency response for residence life staff in relation to response times, schedule, protocol, post incident assessment, and training related to emergency response for standard on call situations and campus emergency procedures that impact on campus housing students.
- Provide vision and strategic direction for residence life.
- Collaborate with other departments to maintain an exceptional lived experience for on-campus students.
- Create an environment built around outcomes and assessment that ultimately leverages opportunities to create engaging experiences for all students - residential and commuter.
- Coordinate, conduct, and establish short and long-range planning activities for Residence Life, including occupancy management, facility operations, as well as the development monitoring, and management of the overall budget.
- Coordinate and oversee the Residence Life educational and community strategies including the Student Life curriculum (https://www.bridgewater.edu/life-at-bridgewater/eagles-engage-rising-to-new-heights).
- Supervise the implementation of the student life curriculum including lesson plan and assessment development; oversee any campus-wide residential programming.
- Work with the Assistant Director and Area Coordinators and other Student Life staff members and colleagues from across campus to promote events for all students.
- Assist with the development of policies for the residential environment, research common and best practices in the field and develop new initiatives.
- Problem solve and strategize with Residential Services and Facilities on long-term and short-term maintenance concerns and access issues.
- Mediate and facilitate room changes or administrative moves if unresolved at the Assistant Director level.
- Assist the department with opening, orientation, and closing programs and procedures.
- Master's degree in Student Affairs or related discipline.
- Previous Director level experience in a comprehensive housing and residence life program at a residential campus that includes supervision of professional staff.
- Familiarity with outcomes-oriented planning.
- Financial modeling, budget management, and strategic planning experience.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Experience working with StarRez (or similar system) and Ellucian software strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to personal and departmental development, professionalism, multicultural education, creativity and collaboration.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize work assignments, delegate, and achieve quality outcomes.
- Ability to develop departmental goals, objectives, budget, and strategic plan that are directly linked with the Student Life curriculum and College’s strategic plan.
- Ability to build, develop, train, and evaluate a strong leadership team committed to student learning, quality services, engaging communities, and collaborative relationships that touch all corners of the institution
- Strong leadership skills for residence life and operations, with the ability to make decisions that are sustainable and impact the College while growing the student experience in positive ways.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills allowing for positive interactions with all constituents.
- Facilities expertise in every aspect of a strong housing and residence life program with the ability to advise, lead, and support institutional change.
- Flexible, innovative management style.
Bridgewater College, an independent private liberal arts college, was founded in 1880 as the first coeducational college in Virginia and has an educational philosophy of developing the whole person and equipping students to become leaders with a strong sense of personal accountability and civic responsibility. The College has an enrollment of more than 1750 students representing 30 states and eight countries. The College is a member of NCAA Division III and the Old Dominion Athletic Conference. The College sponsors 22 intercollegiate athletic teams and an equestrian team that competes in the IHSA. Bridgewater College offers 63 majors and minors, 11 Concentrations/Specializations, Pre-professional Programs, Dual Degree Programs as well as Teacher Education and Certification. APPLY: Please complete the online application at www.bridgewater.edu/careers and attach (upload) a cover letter, resume and the names and contact information (email and mobile phone) for three references.
DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position is open until filled.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Email Dr. Meg Dutnell, Associate Dean of Students at [email protected] .
Bridgewater College is an equal opportunity provider, committed to employing a diverse faculty and staff, and actively seeks applications from women, minorities, and other persons from traditionally under-represented groups.