Staff Assistant – Student Records Coordinator
Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative and nontraditional teaching and learning.
The college continues its 47-year commitment experimenting with new, flexible, and individualized modes of learning through such practices as mentoring students throughout their academic studies, creating individualized degree plans, valuing learning gained from life and work experience, building professional and social student support communities and creating flexible modes of delivery to meet students' diverse learning preferences. The college now boast over 75,000 proud and successful alumni and partners while serving appropriately 17,500 students a year who want to expand their personal and professional horizons.
Empire State College is a part of the SUNY System and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, ESC serves mostly working adults pursuing associate, bachelor's and master's degrees online and onsite at 35 locations across the state of New York and abroad.
SUNY Empire State College, Office of the Registrar, seeks a Student Records Coordinator (State Title: Staff Assistant) at our Saratoga Springs location.
The Office of the Registrar provides a wide range of services for students, alumni, faculty, and staff.These include recording and reporting academic information, calculating, recording and reporting academic standing, graduation clearance, transcript services, transfer evaluation, enrollment verifications and certifications, collaboration on the academic calendar, veteran benefit certification, enrollment reporting and forecasting, and publications including the term guide and the college catalog.The office maintains all official student, alumni, and curricular records for the college and it ensures the accuracy and integrity of the curricular and student records.
The college is seeking a Student Records Coordinator to provide range of support services and handle a wide range of functions within the office.The staff assistant will:
- Safeguard the integrity of student and alumni academic records and the college's curricular records
- Provide quality services to students, faculty, staff, and all others who seek assistance from the Office of the Registrar, learning and working effectively across all of the registrarial functions and following FERPA policies when dealing with faculty, staff, students, and third parties
- Participate in and contributes to the continuing review and evaluation of the operations of the Office of the Registrar, the ongoing refinement, reengineering, and implementation of the college's information systems, as well as training sessions and staff meetings
- Work effectively and productively with other members of the Office of the Registrar's staff to maintain an optimum level of staff cohesiveness and service to students
- Work with Information Technology Services and other offices as needed to research and resolve technological or data issues
- Provide coaching and support to users of college student information systems
Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Monitor and respond to student and faculty inquiries through a variety of communication methods
- Handle escalated calls from the college's one-stop services
- Work collaboratively with office staff and other offices of the college to resolve student complaints and disputes with a demonstrated ability to balance adherence to policies with a need to support student success
- Maintain high levels of customer service
- Assist with the certifying process of student veteran benefits
- Research legacy system student records and appropriately updating current systems
- Manage student duplicate records process
- Monitor and support the college wide registration services, process late and manual registrations
- Advise and support students with procedural aspects of registration; troubleshoot registration problems
- Conduct advanced standing evaluations and build approved course equivalencies in student information system
- Review faculty approved degree programs for policy compliance and accuracy
- Conduct academic clearance reviews and complete graduation processes
- Assist with the implementation, development and testing of college student information systems
- Bachelor's degree
- Work experience in a fast-paced customer service setting
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
- Effective time management skills, with an ability to organize, prioritize, and solve problems accurately
- Ability to work collaboratively and to independently solve problems
- Ability to learn a wide variety of technology
- Strong attention to detail and ability to adapt to challenges of working with others within a changing learning organization
- Ability to set priorities and meet deadlines
- Experience working in a higher education registrar's office or related student service area
- Knowledge of student information systems, especially Banner
- May involve occasional travel
- VISA sponsorship is not available for this position
Applications Due by: Applications accepted until position is filled.
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security