Associate VP and Dean of Students
Job Description Summary:
Job ID: 5372 - FT - Unclassified (salaried)
Miami University invites applications and nominations for Associate Vice President for Student Affairs/ Dean of Students. This is an outstanding opportunity for a visionary and student-centered administrator with a passion for student growth, learning, and success, as well as a collaborative attitude and excellent leadership skills. The successful candidate will be an outstanding student advocate; will establish strong, collaborative relationships across campus; be committed to the total well-being of a diverse and growing student population; and will understand and demonstrate team leadership in Student Affairs. Nationally recognized as one of the most outstanding undergraduate institutions in the nation, Miami University is a public university located in Oxford, Ohio. With an undergraduate student body of 17,000 and a total student body of nearly 20,000, Miami effectively combines a wide range of strong academic programs with the personal attention ordinarily found only at much smaller institutions. Miami is distinguished by a faculty and staff who love to teach and mentor students. The 2016 U.S. News & World Report rankings recognize Miami as the highest ranked public university in the United States in the category of "Strong Commitment to Undergraduate Teaching." Only 19 national universities are noted for such commitment. Miami has appeared on this short, elite list since the inaugural year of the rankings in 2009 and has been in the top three among public universities for six years in a row. We are a campus that prides itself on a providing a holistic education, and aspires to offer the best undergraduate experience in the nation. Those efforts will require strong partnerships across campus, and the Dean will have the charge to lead that work.
Reporting to the Vice President for Student Affairs, the Associate Vice President/ Dean of Students leads the University’s prevention and response efforts related to student crises and conduct, leading our care and crisis management teams; provides leadership to the offices focused on student transitions; and takes a lead role in academic support and in building partnerships with faculty and Academic Affairs, serving on the Council of Academic Deans. The Dean provides strategic leadership and visionary direction to the following offices and staff members: Residence Life, Community Standards, Emergency Case Manager, Sexual and Interpersonal Violence Response Coordinator, Rinella Learning Center, and Student Disability Services. The Dean also supervises the Associate Dean of Students who oversees Orientation and Transition Programs, Parent & Family Programs, and the assessment efforts of the Division of Student Affairs. An essential part of the Dean’s role is to work proactively to build relationships with students, with the campus, and with off-campus partners to create a healthy and safe community where all students feel a sense of belonging and can thrive. The Dean needs to be a visible presence on campus, supporting both individual students as well as programs and services to meet students’ needs. They will provide vision regarding the overall experience of students, and carry out other duties vital to achieving the Student Affairs mission as directed by the Vice President for Student Affairs.
Duties and responsibilities include:
• Serve as a member of the leadership team for the Division of Student Affairs. Provide leadership in strategic planning, implementation, coordination, and review of Student Affairs programs at Miami University.
• Carry out a lead role in planning and executing strategic initiatives related to student well-being, conduct, and crisis, student transitions, and academic support and success. The Dean will set priorities for related offices and manage specific projects. Supervise and manage the following departments within the Division of Student Affairs: Residence Life, Rinella Learning Center, Student Disability Services, Community Standards, and SIV Response. Supervise the Associate Dean of Students, who oversees Orientation and Transition Programs, Parent & Family Programs, and the Division’s assessment efforts. Assist in setting priorities for resource allocation, facility needs, and service utilization; provide oversight of the formulation and management of budgets.
• Serve as the primary on-call administrator for the University for serious student crises, while developing and supporting a broader on-call rotation for lower level emergencies and issues. Develop and maintain strong relationships with the Miami University Police Department (MUPD), the Oxford Police Department (OPD), and other partners in the City of Oxford to promote the safety of our students and effectively respond to crises.
• Maintain high visibility within the campus community, particularly with students.
• Continually measure and assess progress toward well-conceived and regularly updated strategic goals.
• Establish and maintain strong relationships within Student Affairs as well as with senior officers of the university, faculty, other university departments (especially Academic Affairs, MUPD, and University Communications), and a range of associated stakeholders.
• Represent units under supervision to internal and external constituencies, build relationships in the community, contributing to the positive image of the university and creating connections to local resources and partnerships. Create reports and presentations as needed.
• Other duties as assigned
• Doctoral degree or equivalent in student affairs, higher education administration, or related field.
• Eight or more years of experience in higher education with increasingly advanced and more responsible administrative and supervisory roles.
• Ability and willingness to serve in a 24/7 on call capacity related to student emergency response, as required. Significant experience in responding to and managing student crises. Experience with behavioral intervention teams.
• Excellent communication, strategic planning, assessment, and budgeting skills. Strong interpersonal skills, and a commitment to collaboration with a variety of partners on and off campus.
• A demonstrated passion for students focusing on their well-being, development and learning, and a personal track record of continuous learning to stay current on new ideas and technologies relevant to the position.
• Demonstrated understanding of diverse student populations and best practices to support and serve the breadth of students at Miami University.
• A desire to work in a complex environment that values both data-driven decision making and innovation.
• Knowledge of issues, trends, and best practices related to higher education, and familiarity with legal and compliance issues in higher education.
OEEO Statement: The University is committed to equal opportunity, affirmative action, and eliminating discrimination and harassment. Miami University does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations/or disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560. Miami University's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report with information on campus crime, fires, and safety may be found at: http://miamioh.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/. Hard copy available upon request. A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke and tobacco free campuses.