Physics/Physical Science Faculty (Full-time)
MMCC seeks individuals who: value collegiality and mutual respect; use data in decision making; are innovative; are service minded; are goal oriented; strive to continually improve themselves and their work processes; are willing to collaborate and seek to add value in every interaction.
Position involves preparing for and teaching and assessing courses in physics and related physical science courses. Course assignments may occur in a classroom setting, learning lab, online or dual enrollment environment. As a full-time faculty member, this individual will also provide academic advising to students and participate in student recruitment and retention activities. The incumbent will also be expected to actively participate in departmental curriculum review, revision, and development as well as assessment of student learning outcomes/ proficiencies. S/he will serve as a member on college committees, serve as a liaison to external partners and professional associations and assist with faculty recruitment and retention initiatives.
**Review of applications will begin on March 26, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled. **
- Teaches assigned classroom courses.
- Maintains and reports appropriate classroom records: e.g., grades, attendance, etc.
- Reviews, selects and orders course books and other instructional materials.
- Works collaboratively with other departmental faculty on projects aimed at assessing and improving student learning.
- Develops and implements teaching methods that employ interactive learning and integrate current instructional technology.
- Engage in professional development activities and maintains expertise in physics/physical sciences.
- Represents the science department through membership on one or more major committees, such as Academic Council, Assessment, General Education, or other committees.
- Develops and updates syllabi for courses assigned and ensures course content and requirements meet college and accreditation requirements.
- Holds appropriate office hours for assisting and advising students.
- Conducts regular curriculum reviews and revises curriculum as needed.
- Assists with building discipline-specific course schedules.
- Mentors adjunct faculty and maintains regular communication with full-time and adjunct faculty, Library Learning Services, Enrollment Services, Academic Advising, and the instructional Dean.
- Attends, facilitates, and/or leads staff meetings and in-service programs within the department and college-wide.
- Supports and serves as a role model for our mission, vision, and student service initiatives.
- Adheres to the policies, procedures, and compliance guidelines of the college. Ensures all communications and practices demonstrate support of the Ethics for Teaching Professionals.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Knowledge of course content and learning objectives of assigned course(s).
- Ability to develop and effectively deliver course content/objectives and facilitate an effective learning environment for students to maximize their success.
- Knowledge of computer and educational technology and ability to effectively integrate technology into the classroom.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal skills and be comfortable working in a close, collaborative manner with other faculty and administration.
- Ability to work with others in a collaborative manner.
Education, Certification, Licensure:
- Master’s degree in Physics, Astrophysics, closely related Engineering field or sub discipline is required. Ph. D. encouraged.
- Two years of physics teaching experience, preferably at the community college level. Experience teaching on-line or other non-classroom methodology desirable.
- Individuals should have additional knowledge/education/experience in one (or more) of the following: Physics (required), Astronomy/Astrophysics, Engineering, Geology.
- Experience designing and implementing laboratory experiences that encourage student participation in the process of science. Experience with course-based undergraduate research experiences, or “CURES,” preferred.
- Experience working with student assessment.
- Experience with on-line instruction, working with dual enrollment students, and international students is preferred.
Apply for Physics/Physical Science Faculty (Full-time)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly