Director of Finance & Administration
*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine | Center for Children's Surgery
Director of Finance & Administration (Business Services Director)
Position #702362 - Requisition 12231
The School of Medicine, Center for Children's Surgery has an opening for a full-time, University Staff (unclassified) Director of Finance & Administration (Business Services Director) position.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
Jobs in this career family provide general business operations of the organization or a combination of operational responsibilities covering multiple career families. Functions include institutional research, statistical analysis, policy development and review, strategic planning and broad unit business operations such as parking and transportation services, risk management, childcare services, real estate and property management, retail services or job responsibilities that combine fiscal, HR and operational management responsibilities.
Directors are responsible for the ongoing leadership and oversight of a department, including the development of strategies and processes which contribute to the University and/or campus mission and accountability for services provided. Directors are responsible and accountable for the analysis of fiscal and human resources required to achieve department objectives including hiring, compensation, termination, and performance management of subordinate employees. .
The Director of Finance and Administration (DFA) of the Center for Children's Surgery (CCS) is responsible for the overall financial management and administrative functions of the center. The DFA will work closely with the CCS Director to fulfill the center's goals and objectives while ensuring that the center operates in accordance with University policies and procedures and School of Medicine (SOM) rules. Given the inter-dependent relationship between CCS, it's surgical cognate departments (e.g., Neurosurgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Orthopedic Surgery, Ophthalmology, Otolaryngology, and Surgery), the School of Medicine (SOM), Children's Hospital Colorado (CHC), the DFA will also work closely with the CCS Director to promote the continued growth and development of CCS members toward fulfilling the multiple missions of the School of Medicine (SOM) and the Children's Hospital Colorado (CHC) and will provide essential communication and networking for the effective functioning of these entities. Duties and responsibilities include:
Financial Management of the CCS:
- Oversee and direct all CCS fiscal activities.
- Regularly reviews CCS financial statements and ensures that the center is fiscally viable.
- Facilitates fiscal planning and financial analyses for the center, as needed.
- Ensures compliance with compensation models developed for CCS members.
- Interfaces with the DFAs in the cognate departments on matters relating to fiscal management of the center.
Integration of Fiscal Management with SOM Cognate Departments and CHC:
- Collaborate on administration and direction of Children's Hospital Colorado Surgical Division operations, including fund management (accounts at CHC).
- Monitors and manages faculty practice plan/activities for the Center for CCS faculty.
- Manages funds, as assigned, which will may include State, auxiliary, gift, grant, cost center, restricted funds, and contract funds or other.
- Utilize standard University and Center systems for accounting, data processing and other computer systems as necessary for financial management and statistical reporting.
- Coordinate policy implementation relevant to duties, including compliance related to billing and collection and practice plan needs, regulations from Federal, State, CU, UPI and other sources.
- Engage in development activities related to finding new or expanded funding sources and opportunities.
- Represent the Center to visitors, clients, media and the public and serve as Public Relations liaison for constituents.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
A Bachelor's degree in Business, Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, Healthcare Administration, Public Administration, Public Health, or a directly related field from an accredited institution. The position requires extensive, diverse and progressively responsible experience at the management level, including direct responsibility for staff/employees and financial management.
Substitution: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis, but not for the specific experience.
- Master's degree in Business, Management, Public Health, Healthcare Administration or other related field from an accredited institution.
- Experience working in an area related to practice management, physician billing and collection.
- Experience working in an Academic Medical Center setting.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply, diversified financial management skills.
- Ability to establish work priorities and provide follow through, to insure completion of activities, both personally and in subordinates.
- Ability to plan and organize, implement and coordinate financial and administrative activities as they apply to the complex workings of the Center.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume addressing specific skills and experiences 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to: Luana Tadolini at email@example.com.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by January 16, 2018. Those who do not apply by January 16, 2018 may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21495 - SOM-Ctr for Children's Surgery
Posting Date: Jan 2, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Luana Tadolini
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00702362