Business Intelligence/Data Warehouse (BIDW) Part Time Instructor
Open March 1st, 2018 through November 1st, 2018
At the University of California Irvine's Department of Continuing Education - Technology Programs, our mission is to provide the best technical professional development courses online. We are laser focused on inspiring our students to learn new technical skills and shaping the future for their success. We are passionate about our education programs that support our students to fulfil their career goals and we are empowered to help thousands of people learn online every day.
The University of California Irvine's Department of Continuing Education is currently looking for a dynamic Business Intelligence/Data Warehouse Instructor, with a broad technical base in data warehouse development, who is ready to share this knowledge and passion.
A minimum of 7+ years of direct industry experience as a Technical Business Analyst, Business Intelligence Analyst, or Data Architect is required.
This is an online (remote working) part-time position, a commitment of 10 - 15 hours per week is required.
• Experience in both current and foundational concepts of data warehousing
• Experience with the following:
• Modeling Techniques (linear regression, logistic regression, decision tree)
• Query Languages (SQL, Python)
• Automation (SQL Stored Procedures, SSIS, APIs)
• Reporting (Excel, .Net, Microstrategy)
• Table and index management
• Developing data mappings, data extractions, data transformations that support the data warehouse environment.
• Data warehouse development
• Expert knowledge of database structure and implementation techniques
• Must have managed at least one project in which a relational database was built and utilized for analysis
• Proven experience in business process and data analytics, predictive, KPI, etc
• 3+ years working directly with Business Intelligence Tools, like: Sisense, Qlik, Tableau, etc.
• Strong project management knowledge, mainly to teach steps in Database Architecture from concepts to completion
• Experience in analysis of large data sets, identifying trends and patterns
• Analytical mindset, with the understanding of IT and business processes
• Critical thinking and problem solving skills
• Excellent understanding of business intelligence and data alignment
• Excellent communication skills both verbal and written (textual and graphical)
• Bachelor Degree in Computer Science required, Master's Degree preferred
• Technical background with the ability to analyze data and review data processes
• Expert knowledge of Microsoft productivity tools: Excel, Word, and Visio
• Master's degree in Computer Science or other technical degree preferred
• Works alongside The Director of Technology Programs to develop new course content for Summer 2018
• Designs and develops a Business Intelligence/Data Warehouse course that is 100% up to date, meeting the latest industry standards
• Skills up new students who have never built a data warehouse before using the latest development technologies and tools available
• Manages and delivers the course materials to students in an engaging thought-provoking manner in our online learning management system: Canvas
• Optimize and be flexible to change the course to suit the needs of your students and new technologies semester after semester
• Engage in meaningful online conversations and dialogue with students online in the learning management system, supporting their learning objectives and career goals
• Diligently respond to students needs and questions during the course schedule
• Acts as a technical mentor guiding students on a technical journey of discovery
Course development: 60 hours
Commitment: 10 - 12 hrs a week for 12 weeks, every teaching quarter.
Course Description: Business Intelligence/Data Warehouse
Learn how to make better business decisions, use fewer resources, and improve your company's bottom line by developing and using a data warehouse. This course provides an overview of business intelligence and data warehousing and gives you a look at all the major facets of developing and using a data warehouse to make effective business decisions. You'll work on a single project that allows you to develop a project plan and business case for a data warehouse, develop a dimensional model, develop a data staging process, and develop a data access process. You'll also learn about careers working with business intelligence and data warehousing as well as the educational requirements for this field.
Course Description: Designing Dimensional Models
Learn how to build a high performance dimensional data model. A good dimensional model and its physical database form the hub of a business intelligence data warehouse, serving as the target of the data integration and as the source of business intelligence data. This course provides both introductory and advanced concepts and techniques for developing effective dimensional models. Learn how to design dimensional models for extensibility, employ a proven dimensional design process, apply the process to several representative situations, and understand a variety of advanced dimensional modeling techniques.
To apply for this position, please click this link: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF04512
Individuals hired to teach these courses must understand that all such agreements with the University are made on a course-by-course basis and that the Instructor will be made no guarantee of continual involvement with the University in any capacity.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Job location Online (remote)
- Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- Cover Letter
3 letters of reference required
HOW TO APPLY
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information
Get started: press Apply Now