Academic Year Tutors (Part-Time, Temporary)
Academic Year Tutors (Part-Time, Temporary)
Position Number: 53073807
Benefits Eligible: No
Campus Location: Blue Ridge
Job Close Date: 03/15/2018
General Summary: The University of North Georgia is currently accepting applications for Academic Year Tutors for the Upward Bound Program. The UNG Upward Bound Program is a year-long college preparatory program for first generation and/or low income high school students attending Gilmer County High School in Elijay, GA. UNG UB is committed to ensuring student success in the global community and workforce by providing young scholars with the knowledge, skills, and disposition needed to gain admission to a postsecondary institution and earn a college degree. Upward Bound tutorial services are designed to meet each student's academic challenges by providing two - three-hour sessions of specialized tutoring to help in difficult academic areas (math, science, literature and composition, foreign language, and social studies). Tutorials are also a time for enrichment in standardized tests (ACT/SAT), college exploration and application completion, scholarship searches, and various workshops. The tutorial services are provided at Gilmer High School on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 3:15 pm - 5:30 pm. This is a temporary part-time non-exempt position that reports to the Upward Bound Director.
Located in the fastest-growing region of the state, the University of North Georgia is a multi-campus university with an enrollment of over 19,000 students, making it one of the largest institutions in the University System of Georgia. UNG is focused on a mission of educational excellence, leadership development and community engagement opportunities that develop students into leaders for a diverse and global society. Through a variety of educational pathways that provide access and range from certificates and associate degrees to a professional doctoral program, UNG is responsive to regional education and economic development needs. Federally designated as a senior military college, one of the university's signature leadership programs is its 800-member Corps of Cadets on UNG's Dahlonega Campus.
The vision for the Blue Ridge Campus is to offer a variety of educational pathways that meet the needs of the region, to include dual-enrollment courses for high school students, continuing and professional education programs for adult learners, and a full-time cohort-based program for first-time freshmen with courses that will enable students to complete degrees in regional high-demand disciplines. This cohort model may include learning communities and an innovative interdisciplinary curriculum that builds the skills necessary for success in college-level work and uses the region as a context for learning in and out of the classroom. The university will support student success through financial counseling, mandatory advising, and a required pre-college summer program.
Job Duties & Responsibilities: The Academic Tutors will:
- Tutor students individually and in groups in a variety of subjects; this may include workshops/presentations for participants.
- Teach study skills that assist students in preparation for postsecondary education; supervise and assist students during study time.
- Demonstrate a commitment, through mentoring, to assist first generation and economically disadvantaged students develop motivational skills necessary for success in college.
- Assist with light office work and phone homes of students to make announcements; maintain accurate and timely records of student contact and maintain confidentiality; Assist in event set-up and clean up throughout the academic year
- Mentor students by participating in educational/cultural activities and attend select field trips.
- Inform Upward Bound Counselor of any academic or disciplinary problems that impede tutorial progress.
- Attend staff meetings and carry out any other duties as assigned by the staff.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must be highly energetic.
Certifications/Licenses & Minimum Requirements:
- Minimum rising senior who is in good academic standing. Recent graduates and/or graduate students welcome to apply. Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Two years of experience in tutoring and/or teaching high school or college students in one of the following areas: English, mathematics, science, history, or Spanish.
Required Documents: Cover Letter, Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Special Instructions to Applicants: Please submit contact information for three professional references.
Employer Information: All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation, as determined by the University of North Georgia in its sole discretion. The University of North Georgia, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex or national origin, age, disability, religion, genetics or veteran status. Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans.
We provide equal employment opportunities to minorities, females, protected veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.
The University of North Georgia is committed to providing equal opportunity to all qualified applicants without discrimination at the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, age, disability or handicap as a matter of college policy and as required by applicable state and federal laws.