JOB NO.: 93723-AS
Work Type: Staff-Full Time
Department: SMPH/MED MICROBIO/MED MICRO
Categories: Accounting, Finance, Purchasing, Office & Administrative Support
Employment Class: Academic Staff-Renewable
Position Vacancy ID: 93723-AS
Working Title: Accountant
Official Title: ACCOUNTANT(R10DN)
Hiring Department: A534700-MEDICAL SCHOOL/MED MICROBIO/MED MICRO
Anticipated Begin Date: MAY 01, 2018
Term: This is a renewable appointment.
Minimum $48,333 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
Degree and Area of Specialization:
Completion of a Bachelor's degree in accounting or closely related field such as business or finance is strongly preferred.
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
- At least two years of relevant accounting experience
- Ability to interpret and apply complex rules and requirements
- Ability to advise faculty and staff on policy, procedure, and technical applications related to post-award grants management, purchasing, and other financial processes
- Effective written and oral communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills
- Well-developed abilities in the following: tact, judgment, resourcefulness, confidentiality, and independent decision-making
- Excellent analytical, organizational and prioritization skills
- Experience working with complex automated accounting systems and processes, including database or query
License or certificate:
Serve as chief accountant for the Department of Medical Microbiology & Immunology. This position is responsible for establishing and maintaining department financial records according to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). The position also requires a thorough knowledge of State, University, School of Medicine and Public Health (SMPH), UW Foundation, UW Trust Fund, granting agency and internal departmental operating procedures, donor rules and regulations, and purchasing and travel policies and procedures.
The Accountant, working directly with the Department Administrator and faculty, will be a key contributor to departmental budget analysis and preparation, financial systems development, and cost allocation decisions. In addition, the Accountant is responsible for communicating with, responding to, documenting, and defending past financial decisions and expenditure patterns to State, Campus, Federal and non-Federal auditors and sponsors. Thus, this position has direct financial oversight and responsibility for all departmental financial matters. The incumbent will be expected to develop and maintain a system of internal controls with checks and balances appropriate to the size of the Department.
This position is under the general direction of the Medical Microbiology & Immunology Department Administrator in providing financial reporting, accounting, record keeping and analytic services to the Department.
The School of Medicine and Public Health has a deep and profound commitment to diversity both as an end in itself but, also as a valuable means for eliminating health disparities. As such, we strongly encourage applications from candidates who foster and promote the values of diversity and inclusion.
- Advanced knowledge of UW business policies and procedures
- A minimum two years of experience with accounting and post-award grants management in a public university
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with the principles and practices of governmental accounting, including GAAP
Instructions to applicants:
To begin the application process please click on the 'Apply Now' button. You will be asked to upload a current resume/CV, three professional references, and a cover letter which should address your experience with all of the required and applicable preferred qualifications
Additional Link: Full Position Details
NOTE: A Period of Evaluation will be Required
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Advertised: Mar 2 2018 Central Standard Time
Application Close: Apr 2 2018 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time