Is this an internal posting only?
Monday - Friday; 8:00am - 5:00pm, some evenings and weekends
The College of Visual Arts and Design at the University of North Texas consists of the Departments of Art Education & Art History, Design, Studio Art, and the Onstead Institute for Education in the Visual Arts & Design. The College of Visual Arts and Design (CVAD) at the University of North Texas (UNT) assumes a critical role in building our region into a world-renowned center for culture and education. CVAD fosters creative futures for its diverse student population and the area through rigorous arts-based education, arts- and client-based studio practice, scholarship and research.
The CVAD-Dean's Office Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire an Academic Counselor to join our team. In addition to advising responsibilities, additional responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Establishing and implementing programs for students in academic distress, including those on academic alert or returning from suspension.
* Establishing and facilitating student recruitment, success, and retention programs.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess the following required qualifications:
Master's Degree and two years of experience in student affairs, student services, counseling, professional academic advising, or related experience. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Considerable knowledge of University policies and procedures related to functional area (or ability to rapidly assimilate).
* Current knowledge of student development and counseling theory.
* Strong presentation, problem solving, and critical thinking skills.
* Strong counseling skills including career development and group facilitation.
* Ability to communicate effectively with diverse populations verbally and in writing.
* Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships.
* Ability to work independently.
* Remains active in professional development.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, cover letter, and three references with the online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Quicklink for Posting