EOF Counselor/Academic Advisor
Montclair State is New Jersey's second largest university. It offers the advantages of a large university - a broad undergraduate curriculum with a global focus, a wide variety of superior graduate programs through the doctoral level, and a diverse faculty and student body - combined with a small college's attention to students.
Posting Date March 2, 2018
Position Title EOF Counselor/Academic Advisor
Vacancy # V-1417
Department Student Academic Services/Educational Opportunity Fund
Division Student Devel And Campus Life
Under the direction of the Associate Director of the Educational Opportunity Fund Program, the EOF Counselor/Academic Advisor is responsible for comprehensive advisement of a caseload and the development and execution of recruitment, retention, outreach and liaison programs. The EOF Counselor/Academic Advisor will contribute to the development and implementation of the strategic vision/goals, program planning, policy formation, outcomes assessment, annual reporting/compliance with the State/University, overseeing the financial aid review of all EOF scholars within the enrollment pipeline, counseling non-funded EOF students, supervision/co-training of part-time employees/interns/peer leaders, liaison with designated offices and department, and intentional student development initiatives related to learning, retention, and satisfaction.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide comprehensive group and one-on-one counseling/advising to all assigned students including but not limited to, first-year, upper-class, first semester transfers, undeclared, and other groups as needed. Provide the following support services: learning community/course selection, interpretation of institutional requirements, selection of intended majors/minors, transfer course equivalencies, general education/major/school core/ minor requirements, verifying prerequisite and testing completion, course sequencing, alternate means of earning credit, appropriate credit loads, graduation requirements, career development, financial aid literacy and appropriate referrals/audits.
- Assist with the pre-selection of course schedules for first-year enrollment prior to Summer Academy including interpreting and application of placement test/SAT-ACT (optional)/AP score results.
- Keep abreast of academic policies and procedures as prescribed by the University and the EOF Program including curriculum updates, academic requirements, and exceptions to the requirements (e.g. Off-Campus Study, pass/fail forms, and substitution forms, repeat Fail request, grade change forms and credit overloads).
- Utilize available programs and assessment tools in the delivery of counseling services including (e,g, OneMontclair, Starfish, LASSI, Degree Audits, etc.).
- Adhere to laws that govern academic advising practices.
- Serve as a liaison to the school/programs/department as appointed by the EOF Director and or Associate Director.
- Provide comprehensive Financial Aid/Financial literacy services including but not limited to; reviewing income eligibility of all EOF applicants, posting scholar grants, providing financial aid presentations, generating financial aid reports, and serving as a liaison with Financial Aid and HESAA.
- Utilize data compiled from standardized assessment tools (CIRP, NSSE, In-house data, etc.) in order to ensure that current programs and services are achieving established goals and meeting the needs of counselees.
- Develop partnerships with key internal and external constituents including (schools in target districts, churches, non-profits, Academic Units, Accounting, Student Development & Campus Life, etc.).
- Assist in the caseload management, roster review, annual reporting, and contract review to ensure EOF Program compliance with State regulations.
- Support and/or advise EOF scholars in various programs including the Human Relations Leadership Development Institute and or the Financial Literacy Leadership Program.
- Participate in enrollment recruitment related activities/presentations (minimum of 5 sites) for current and prospective students.
- Review EOF data and publications for accuracy and responds in appropriate timeline.
- Seek active membership and participation in related professional associations and maintain awareness of current trends and issues related the EOF population.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Qualifications & Requirements
Master's Degree in Student Personnel Services or related field required. A minimum of two years full time professional experience working in a college/university setting required. The College/University experience can be substituted for two years full time professional experience working with educationally underprepared and economically disadvantaged students. Preference will be given to candidates with documented experience in the following Higher Education areas (Enrollment Management, Financial Aid, Counseling/Advising, Career Counseling, and other Student Academic Services).
Commensurate with experience.
Anticipated Start Date Open until position is filled.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
*When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).*
Apply By Review will begin immediately and continues until position is filled.
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION