Senior Manager - New Venture Development
Job no: 494090
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Benefit Status: Benefited-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: New Venture Development
Applications Open: Mar 02 2018
Applications Close: Open until filled
General Summary of Position:
The Senior Manager of New Venture Development (NVD) will work closely with the NVD Director to develop and implement strategies, events and programs to engage faculty to foster entrepreneurship, innovation and research commercialization.
A key part in the University's mission to be an entrepreneurial institution, the NVD department focuses on inventions, discoveries, products and services that have been developed in whole or in part at UMass Lowell, have achieved proof of concept (or an early prototype) and are ready for commercial product development, rather than those requiring further basic research. Once such a technology has been identified, NVD partners with the UMass Lowell community and alumni as well as its strong external network to identify and develop a compelling business plan, a strong management team and solid financial backing (from NV, angels and venture capital investors) to launch an independent commercial venture. This effort involves direct interaction between the entrepreneurial team, NV staff, the River Hawk New Venture Fund Investment Advisory Board and New Venture Fellows, as well as with other entrepreneurs and mentors to:
- Identify key intellectual property required for spinout;
- Create technical design plans and enable related development of functional prototypes;
- Define and develop a compelling business strategy;
- Identify human resource needs and build entrepreneurial management teams;
- Facilitate legal, accounting, insurance, real estate and recruiting decisions and resource allocations;
- Assist with early business development, potential customer interactions and business/development partners;
- Structure, fund and launch the new vestures;
- Assist with the transfer or licensing of intellectual property, physical assets and human resources; and,
- Cultivate intellectual property from multiple sources to expand the UMass Lowell startup pipeline to include companies in our well-established medical device incubator, Massachusetts Medical Device Development Center (M2D2), our new Innovation Hub, startups utilizing UMass Lowell research and entrepreneurs working with the University to further their own concepts.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Bachelor's degree required plus five years of experience in service and/or education based program management
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and an ability to handle multiple and complex tasks and projects concurrently
- The ability to work effectively with diverse groups
- Commitment to teamwork and willingness to work collaboratively with colleagues from across the institution
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative in program development and evaluation
- Demonstrated skill to work within a complex environment with strong capabilities in planning, organizing and management
- Strong work ethic and integrity
- Affinity with the overall mission of the University of Massachusetts Lowell
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required at the time of application.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.