Electrician I - Facilities (multiple positions)
Job no: 494121
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Benefit Status: Benefited-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: Facilities Operations&Services
Salary: MTA - Grade18, Step 1 $1,897.20 - Step 14 $2,685.69
Applications Open: Mar 02 2018
Applications Close: Open until filled
General Summary of Position:
Incumbents in this series test, repair, install and/or maintain various types of electrical systems and equipment; troubleshoot electrical and related equipment; maintain adequate inventory of equipment and materials; inspect the work of outside contractors; and determine materials and/or equipment necessary for a job and on-the-job procedure changes. The basic purpose of this work is to ensure the safe and adequate functioning of electrical systems and equipment.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
• Massachusetts Journeyman or Master Electrical License
• Knowledge of state and local electrical codes
• Knowledge of the principles and theory of electricity
• Knowledge of the types and used of small hand tools used in electrical practices such as pliers, screwdrivers etc.
• Knowledge of the types and uses of equipment including testing equipment used in electrical work
• Knowledge of safety practices and precautions
• Knowledge of inspection techniques used in electrical trade
• Knowledge of the types and uses of hand held power tools
• Ability to lift and carry heavy objects
• Ability to understand, explain and apply the laws, rules and regulations governing assigned unit activities
• Ability to lead a group of workers
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions
• Ability to interpret and apply laws, rules and regulations concerning electrical practice
• Ability to write clearly and concisely
• Ability to maintain accurate records
• Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships
• Ability to perform calculations to determine voltage, amperage and resistance factors
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as electrical plans, schematics, drawings, etc
• Ability to make decision and act quickly in emergency situations
• Ability to climb and work from ladders and scaffolds
• Ability to detect and locate causes of electrical failure or breakdown
• Manual dexterity and aptitude
• Minimum of 3 years' experience, installing, servicing, or inspecting electrical systems, fire alarm, life safety systems, and electrical components of HVAC equipment
• Possess a current and valid driver's license
• 5 years' experience as a licensed Electrician.
• Demonstrated willingness to be on essential personnel list for facility related emergencies and University Closings due to weather.
• Ability to operate air and hydraulic lifts.
• Similar institution experience.
• Knowledge of a variety of low voltage systems such as HVAC controls.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal (MTA - Maintenance & Trades Bargaining Union) candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required at the time of application.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.