Technical Specialist - Pt
The Physical Sciences Technical Specialist, Part-time, is responsible for the preparation of laboratory experiments and classroom demonstrations, maintenance of laboratory equipment and inventories, and routine maintenance of the laboratories on the Arnold campus with a concentration in chemistry in support of evening and weekend course offerings.
Title: Technical Specialist - Pt
Position ID number: 295
Posted Date: 03/02/2018
Job Category: Staff
Department: Chemistry - HCHE
Position Status: Part-Time Staff
Salary Range: $22.16-$27.69
- Prepare solutions, reagents, equipment, and student unknown samples for laboratory experiments and exercises for all chemistry courses following detailed preparation manuals. Update preparation manuals as necessary. Responsible for the set up and take down of assigned experiments according to established schedules and monitoring materials between lab sections. Prepare materials for physics and physical science courses as necessary.
- Responsible for the routine maintenance of the chemistry laboratories. Keep labs in working order, clean, and well stocked. Monitor and stock supplies in chemistry classrooms in the Dragun and Careers buildings. Generate facility work request as necessary.
- Follow and promote established safety policies and procedures by maintaining a safe work environment and adhering to procedures for the collection and storage of hazardous waste. Perform chemical and waste container checks and safety inspections. Test safety equipment and maintain records. Inform Laboratory Manager of problems or deficiencies. Monitor and restock first aid kits and laboratory personal protective equipment. Responsible for the maintenance of the Safety Data Sheet files.
- Responsible for maintaining and providing operating instructions to faculty and students for a variety of chemistry instrumentation including gas chromatographs and nuclear magnetic resonance spectrometer. Responsible for assisting faculty with atomic absorption, ultra-violet, visible range, and infrared spectrometers and associated peripherals as necessary. Also responsible for general computer tasks such as attaching peripherals and assisting with course related software and applications. Assemble and set up new equipment as directed. Perform minor repairs as necessary.
- Conduct, monitor, and update inventories of equipment, supplies, and chemicals and advise Laboratory Manager of needs.
- Communicate with Lab Manager and other lab staff to ensure all materials are available to students and faculty when needed according to established schedules.
- Assemble materials for classroom and science outreach demonstrations.
- Assist in the testing of new experiments, equipment, and procedures as directed by the Lab Manager.
- Provide assistance to faculty and students as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by the Laboratory Managers or the Physical Sciences Department Chair.
Minimum Level of Experience Required: A minimum of two years of relevant experience.
Minimum Level of Education Required: A Bachelor of Science in chemistry or related discipline.
Other Minimum Requirements:
- Proficient in the use of computers, iPads, and Microsoft Office Applications.
- Ability to work a 12 month evening and weekend flexible schedule dependent on laboratory schedules and departmental needs.
- Reliable, detail oriented, and capable of managing time to meet deadlines. Ability to work independently with minimal direct supervision.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of testing materials and student records.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively and tactfully with a diverse group of students, faculty, staff, and the public.
- Experience with use and maintenance of chemistry laboratory equipment/instrumentation and data collection software.
- Experience supporting post-secondary science laboratories.
- Experience with laboratory safety and hazardous waste management.
- Experience with use and maintenance of gas chromatograph, Atomic Absorption, UV, Visible, Infrared and Nuclear Magnetic Resonance spectrometers
Hours per Week: 28
Required Documents: Cover Letter, Resume/Curriculum Vitae