Division Administrative Assistant-Visual, Applied and Performing Arts (VAPA)
Division Administrative Assistant-Visual, Applied and Performing Arts (VAPA)
Closing Date/Time: 3/22/2018 11:59 PM Pacific
Salary: See Position Description
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Aptos, CA
Department: Vapa Division Office
This full-time (40 hours per week) Division Administrative Assistant position provides administrative support functions for the Visual, Applied, and Performing Arts (VAPA) Division; provides varied and complex office administrative assistance for the VAPA Dean; prioritizes day-to-day administrative operations of the VAPA Division office; interacts with the public, students, administrators, and faculty; and performs related duties as required or assigned.
In addition, a Division Administrative Assistant position eligibility pool may be established in order to fill other full-time, part-time or substitute assignments as needs arise.
- Serves as liaison between the VAPA Division Dean and the college community, including students, faculty and staff by providing information and assistance regarding division and various college programs
- Performs a variety of administrative support duties such as coordinating the administrative details of the VAPA Division office, interacting with students, administrators, faculty and staff
- Receives, screens and prioritizes visitors, telephone calls and mail
- Provides factual information to faculty, students and the public
- Receives complaints and concerns that arise on the part of faculty, staff and students and refers staff, faculty and students through the process to resolve problems, in accordance with established College and state procedures and regulations
- Schedules meetings and composes division meeting minutes
- Assists the VAPA Division Dean in tracking faculty assignments; monitors adjunct and overload contracts; processes absence and related forms, including adjunct assignment notifications
- Coordinates facility use and resolves scheduling conflicts
- Provides varied office administrative and secretarial assistance to the VAPA Division Dean, and support to Career Technical Education (CTE) Chairs on advisory committee responsibilities
- Utilizes advanced software to enter, monitor, change or report on data regarding programs, staff and students; keeps Ad Astra room scheduler data current
- Designs and implements office systems in support of the VAPA Division and its various instructional programs
- Maintains curriculum files related to the VAPA Division including tracking proposals for curriculum changes
- Draft, proof and type reports, correspondence, other written materials and directories using a personal computer system with various software (e.g. word processing, website maintenance management, spreadsheets, databases, etc.)
- Reviews finished materials for completeness, accuracy, format, compliance with policies and procedures and appropriate English usage
- Assists department chairs in developing materials for student use
- Organizes and maintains various office and instructional files; maintains division scheduling files including faculty assignment sheets once the Instructional Procedures Analyst (IPA) completes the schedule input
- Prepares a variety of reports in support of VAPA Division activities and programs (e.g. enrollment reports)
- Processes various documents (e.g. special studies forms) and provides various scheduling support, such as preparing department scheduling grids for use by department chairs in developing class schedules
- Performs special research projects as directed by the VAPA Division Dean
- May assist the Financial Support Specialist (FSS) in monitoring and proofing adjunct and overload contracts and time cards
- May direct the work of student assistants and temporary hourly employees on a project or day-to-day basis
- Performs related duties as required or assigned
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from high school AND three (3) years of secretarial or office administrative experience.
- Two (2) years of college-level coursework in business or office administration
- Experience in an educational setting
- Standard office administrative and secretarial practices and procedures, including filing and business letter writing
- Terminology and basic principles and concepts of the VAPA Division
- Basic functions, procedures and programs of an educational institution
- Operation of personal computer and various software programs including (e.g. word processing, website maintenance management, spreadsheet, database etc.)
- Correct English usage, including spelling, grammar, punctuation and vocabulary
- Recordkeeping principles and practices
- Business mathematics and basic budgetary principles and practices
- Organize work, set priorities, meet critical deadlines and follow up on assignments with minimum direction
- Assemble, organize and prepare data for records and reports
- Maintain various division scheduling files and availability statements
- Exercise initiative and judgment within established guidelines
- Establish and maintain detailed and accurate records and files
- Operate a computer with appropriate database, word processing, and spreadsheet website management software, and office equipment
- Type with sufficient speed and accuracy to enter data and prepare correspondence and reports in a timely manner
- Demonstrate understanding and sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, gender, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds, disability and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work
Salary: $3,434 to $3,786 per month to start; seven-step schedule to $4,602 per month. Full-time, 100% assignment (40 hours per week), 11 months per year; Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. with evenings and weekends as required. Classified employees are required to join the California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS) and as such contribute up to 7% of their monthly salary to CalPERS on a pre-tax basis. Position scheduled to begin as soon as possible, pending continued funding and Governing Board ratification. Salary is subject to proration based on beginning date of assignment.
* Cabrillo College reserves the right at its discretion to hire classified and confidential employees at a higher starting step placement, up to step three, in acknowledgement of an individual's previous job-related work experience. Please note: It is the applicants responsibility to ensure their application materials include the work related experience they wish to be considered for a higher step placement. The Human Resources department will make their determination based on the information in the application materials received.
Cabrillo College currently provides a benefit stipend contribution for medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and eligible dependents.
Each employee hired into a classified position shall contribute to membership dues or service fee or charitable contribution at the current rate of gross salary per month.
**To be considered, each applicant MUST SUBMIT:
- Completed online Cabrillo College Application
- Job-related resume
APPLICANTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO SUBMIT:
- Documentation such as college transcripts in response to this position's desirable qualifications of college level coursework in business or office administration. (Foreign transcripts must be translated to determine equivalency to U.S. standards (Download PDF reader). Any fee for such translation is paid by the applicant.) Unofficial transcripts, copies and downloads are acceptable to demonstrate the qualification re: college coursework listed in this announcement. If selected it is the responsibility of the candidate to provide official transcripts, diplomas, degrees, or other documents as may be requested.
**If any of the above materials are not submitted with your application packet, your materials will be deemed incomplete.
Please Note: To ensure an accurate evaluation of your application materials, please submit information regarding your education, experience, knowledge, and abilities as they relate to the minimum qualifications. When filling out the online application, it is important that you fill out all sections completely. Do not leave blank spaces/sections or note "see resume". When adding attachments, please redact ALL of the following items which appear on any attachment before you submit it: social security number, birth date, age, gender, birthplace and personal photos.
Please notify the Human Resources Department if you require any special accommodation(s) in meeting these requirements.
Selection Procedure: Applications will be reviewed by a search committee, which will determine the applicants to invite for interviews based on appraisal of qualifications as documented by application materials submitted. Meeting the posted requirements does not guarantee an invitation for an interview. Performance exam(s) may be administered.
Candidates selected for employment with Cabrillo College must agree to be fingerprinted, provide current tuberculosis screening results, provide proof of eligibility for employment in the United States and present a valid Social Security card upon hire.
Application Deadline: Application and attached required materials MUST be successfully submitted by 11:59 p.m. on: Thursday, March 22, 2018.
Cabrillo College seeks applications from all qualified individuals. It is the continuing goal of Cabrillo College to hire and retain staff that reflect the rich diversity and cultural heritage of the college district and its student body.
Cabrillo College currently provides full-time employees a benefit stipend contribution for medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and eligible dependents. Please note: Employee who work part-time contracts will receive a pro rata benefit stipend based on the percentage of assignment.
Full-time and *part-time classified employees are required to join the California Public Employee's Retirement System (CalPERS) and as such contribute up to 7% of their monthly salary to CalPERS on a pre-tax basis.
Note: Classified-hourly employees are not eligible for insurance-related benefits or PERS retirement benefits.
Each employee hired into a classified position shall contribute to membership dues, service fee or charitable contribution at the current rate based on gross salary per month.
*Part-time refers to 1,000 hours/125 days or more per fiscal year.
To apply, please visit: https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/cabrilloedu