Instructional Support Technician IV - Diesel Technology
Instructional Support Technician IV - Diesel Technology
Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 09191
Location: Rock Creek Campus
Address: 17705 NW Springville Road, Portland, OR
Hours of Work: Other
Position Status: Classified; Salary Level 19, Fulltime, Non-exempt
Starting Salary Range: $3,267 - $3,336 per month
Job Close Date:
The Instructional Support Technician in the Diesel Technology department under the technical direction of one or more members of the faculty or an instructional administrator, prepares laboratories and classrooms for instructors; plans and designs experiments/demonstrations; participates in the delivery of the actual instruction and provides student supervision, assistance and evaluation and/or has been assigned lead responsibilities over classified staff.
This position is located on the Rock Creek Campus.
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with a access to a broad range of benefit options.
Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Auto and Home Insurance. Retirement and tax deferred 403B plans.
Starts at 6.67 hours of Vacation leave per month (additional vacation hours with years of service)
8 hours of Sick Leave per month
24 hours of additional Personal Leave days per year
11 Paid Holidays
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for yourself, domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age. Tuition reimbursement for yourself at other accredited institutions.
For a complete list of PCC benefits please copy and paste the following link into another browser http://www.pcc.edu/hr/benefits/
1. Works with students individually or in groups to enhance their learning in the assigned laboratory; provides direct assistance in the use of equipment and materials needed for instruction; orients students to the laboratory. Sets up established laboratory experiences for students as required by course outline or faculty direction; evaluates student progress and grades students in certain aspects of their laboratory work; may lecture on specific elements of the laboratory work; may administer tests.
2. Acquires, maintains and inventories equipment, materials, supplies, live specimens and written materials required for student instructional needs; performs repairs on equipment; checks out equipment, supplies, materials to students; maintains contact with appropriate vendors.
3. Coordinates the support activities of the laboratory(ies); establishes procedures for the use of equipment, supplies, materials, machinery and other items used; insures that faculty and students are oriented to the proper use of the laboratory(ies).
4. Participates in departmental staff meetings, advisory committee meetings, safety committee meetings; over the telephone or in person provides students, staff, instructors and public with information relating to specific programs; may represent the department/program to interested groups in the community.
5. Maintains records of activities undertaken in the support of the laboratory(ies) which may include typing forms, inputting data or otherwise retaining information regarding the acquisition, maintenance and distribution of equipment, materials, supplies and/or written materials.
6. Provides for the general cleanliness and security of the laboratory(ies) or work areas; disposes of hazardous materials according to specific instructions relating to their disposal; assists in providing for a safe environment for the conduct of the laboratories. Reports maintenance problems as they occur.
7. May provide work direction for student helpers, work study students and staff; coordinate work schedules to insure coverage; orient new staff to the procedures and policies of the laboratories; train staff in the safe maintenance and use of all equipment used in the laboratories; monitor performance and report any problems to administrative supervision.
The education and/or work history sections of your online application form must demonstrate that you meet all of the following Minimum Qualifications. The information on the resume/cover letter will not substitute for the completed application.
- Satisfactory references and successful completion of the criminal background check are required to meet the minimum qualifications for hire into this position.
In the online application's Education/Employment History sections, include jobs, duties, and dates that display these qualifications.
High school diploma or equivalent and two years of post-secondary education in a specific technical discipline appropriate to the instructional support.
Three years of experience in the diesel technolgy are required; experience performing the duties of the position may substitute for the post-secondary education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Must have proven written oral communications skills adequate to assist students in understanding the work they are to perform. Proven ability to lead others to lead others and evaluate performance.
- Experience working in a heavy equipment or truck dealership or similar.
- AAS in Diesel Service from an accredited institution
- Experience in the maintenance and repair of diesel-powered equipment.
- Excellent knowledge in the use of diesel related equipment and tooling; has the ability to fix equipment, as needed.
- Demonstrated teaching or industry training experience in diesel technology.
- Experience in parts purchasing/management.
- Proficient computer usage including Microsoft Office
- Demonstrated experience in effectively managing inventory.
- Experience driving a forklift
- Must be able to lift 60 lbs. to chest height.
- Self- starter who is dependable and a quick learner.
- Excellent communication skills to include written and oral
- Experience in welding and fabrication
When you apply, Please be prepared to attach a document with your responses to the following Required Questions:
1. Describe how your background and experience prepare you for this position.
2. Describe your experience in acquiring, maintaining and inventorying tools and equipment.
3. What does diversity mean to you?
Additional Posting Information:
To apply for this position you must submit:
1. Completed responses to the (3) Required Questions from the Committee - scroll to see questions below - (attach document)*
2. Completed online application
3. Cover Letter (attach document)*
4. Current Resume (attach document)*
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
- Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
- This position is included in the bargaining agreement between Portland Community College and the Portland Community College Federation of Classified Employees (PCCFCE). Employment in this position will require, as a condition of employment, payment of monthly union dues or a monthly fair share fee in lieu of dues through automatic payroll deduction. Probationary period will be in accordance with Article 13 of the Classified Agreement. Current Classified employees are encouraged to review Article 15 for salary placement guidelines.
- Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
Responses to Required Questions
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: jobs.pcc.edu
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.