FCSM-N-3141, Clinical Instructor
Towson UTeach Program
The Jess and Mildred Fisher College of Science and Mathematics
The Jess and Mildred Fisher College of Science and Mathematics invites applications for a non-tenure-track, 10-month Master Teacher Clinical Instructor, specialty in Mathematics, with the Towson UTeach Program beginning August 2018.
Master’s degree or equivalent experience (bachelor degree plus 36 credits), preferably in mathematics secondary education or mathematics; a minimum of five years of exemplary secondary public school teaching experience in mathematics; be recognized for educational leadership and demonstrate skill and passion for working with students and novice teachers. Experience teaching computer science is desirable.
Towson UTeach Master Teachers are Clinical Instructors with a workload of 8 course unit equivalents per year (one course unit equivalent = 3 contact hours).
- Teaching (7 to 9 course contact hours and 12 equivalent contact hours in field observations per year):
Teach introductory courses that provide students the opportunity to explore STEM teaching as a career and assist in upper-level courses. Introductory level classes meet one and a half to two hours per week.
- Supervise field placement components of introductory and upper level classes. Field placements take place in elementary, middle and high school mathematics and science classes.
- Teach professional year senior seminars.
- Supervise students during the last two semesters in their internships.
- Guide students through lesson planning; providing suggestions for revisions prior to teaching, observing, and providing feedback for students’ teaching experiences.
- Serve as liaison with host school administrators and mentor teachers for field placements.
- Schedule field placements (matching student schedules with school schedules and transportation limitations).
Administrative (1-2 course unit equivalents per year):
- Manage Towson UTeach Student Resource Center, including purchase and preparation of field materials and the maintenance of available technology (iPads, laptops, PASCO probes)
- Manage Towson UTeach externships (work opportunities for students) including serving as a liaison between potential employers.
- Recruit students to the program (from local high schools and community colleges as well as from existing Towson University students).
Towson University (www.towson.edu) was founded in 1866, is recognized by U. S. News and World Reports as one of the top public universities in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions, is one of Baltimore’s largest universities, and is the largest public, comprehensive institution in the University of Maryland System. TU enrolls almost 19,000 undergraduates and over 3,000 graduate students across six academic colleges (business, education, fine arts, health professions, liberal arts, science & mathematics), has over 865 full-time faculty, and offers more than 65 bachelor’s, 45 master’s, and 5 doctoral programs. Our centrally located campus sits on 330 rolling green acres and is 10 miles north of Baltimore, 45 miles north of Washington D.C., and 95 miles south of Philadelphia.
Review of applications begins March 15, 2018 and continues until the position is filled. Submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, two letters of recommendation (sent under separate cover) and official graduate transcripts to:
Master Teacher Search
c/o Dr. Linda Cooper
8000 York Road
Towson, MD 21252-0001
Alternatively, all or part of the application may be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Criminal Background Investigation is required for the hired candidate and the results may impact employment.
Please be sure to visit http://www.towson.edu/inclusionequity/employment/data.html to complete a voluntary on-line applicant data form. The information you provide will inform the university’s affirmative action plan and is for statistical-related purposes only. The information will not be used for any other purpose. Please note that the search number for which you have applied is: FCSM-N-3141.
Towson University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and has a strong institutional commitment to diversity. Women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.