The Division of Information Technology invites applications for the position of Data Modeler, a full time appointment. UMD students, faculty, and staff cultivate fearless ideas every day. The Division of IT strives to help to achieve these visions by providing secure, stable and modern systems and services. We also aim to make our services and information easy to request, access, and use. To support these goals, we have reinvented the way university community members engage with our division resources and support services.
RESPONSIBIILTIES: The Data Modeler will report directly to Data Architect, University Decision Support (UDS) within the Division of Information Technology (DIT). This is an opportunity to join a newly formed unit (UDS) and contribute to a strategic initiative to improve data-driven decision-making on campus. The Data Modeler will be responsible for requirements gathering and data modeling (conceptual, logical and physical) to support the creation of a new Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) and data platform. This includes conducting user interviews, facilitating data modeling sessions, writing business and technical requirements, maintaining data models in ERWin, creating DDL and DML scripts as needed and documentation. The Data Modeler will collaborate with the DSSteam on a day-to-day basis and receive technical guidance from the Data Warehouse Architect.
The position requires a thorough knowledge of dimensional data modeling, process modeling, data warehousing and data management principles, processes and best practices. The position also requires a solid understanding of Master Data Management principles. Prior successful data warehouse implementations are a must. Clear communication, demonstrated organizational skills, the ability to collaborate with non-technical stakeholders, create clear and concise technical documentation, and make critical decisions are requirements to be successful in this position.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in computer science, information systems or a related IT discipline.
- 3-5 years of experience in a role primarily responsible for developing and implementing dimensional data models.
- At least 3 years of hands-on SQLdevelopment experience.
- Experience using a data modeling tool similar to ERWin or ER Studio.
- Extensive experience conducting user interviews and guiding customers in developing decision driven business requirements.
- Experience facilitating data modeling sessions and design walkthroughs with development team members and business users.
- Experience using data modeling techniques to analyze business requirements, translate them to data requirements and develop logical and physical data models using a data modeling tool.
- Strong understanding of Master Data Management.
- Experience building dimensional models and a strong understanding of dimensional modeling best practices.
- Experience developing and maintaining large scale, enterprise data warehouse, data models.
- Experience developing source to target mappings and technical documentation.
- Ability to communicate clearly, in written or spoken word, with customers and team members.
- Experience working with at least 2 common database platforms ( i.e Oracle, SQLServer, Teradata, etc).
- Experience performing data profiling activities.
- Experience working with data virtualization tools.
- Experience with Amazon Redshift or other cloud-based data warehouse technologies.
- Self-motivated, energetic, detail oriented and a team player.
- Experience modeling higher education data is a plus.
APPLICATION: For full consideration, applicants should submit a resume and cover letter describing their qualifications. For best consideration, please submit by March 13, 2018. Reviews will continue until the position is filled. Applications will be held in confidence. References will not be contacted without the consent of the candidate. Submit applications electronically at https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/58223 position number # 122399 listed under the Staff section.
Founded in 1856, University of Maryland, College Park is the flagship institution in the University System of Maryland. Our 1,250- acre College Park campus is just minutes away from Washington, D.C., and the nexus of the nation's legislative, executive, and judicial centers of power. This unique proximity to business and technology leaders, federal departments and agencies, and a myriad of research entities, embassies, think tanks, cultural centers, and non-profit organizations is simply unparalleled. Synergistic opportunities for our faculty and students abound and are virtually limitless in the nation's capital and surrounding areas. The University is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding and diverse faculty and staff that will enhance our stature of preeminence in our three missions of teaching, scholarship, and full engagement in our community, the state of Maryland and in the world.
The University of Maryland, College Park, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative actions; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, political affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of rights secured by the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.