Dean, School of Business
I. JOB OVERVIEW
Job Description Summary:
The George Washington University (GW), a major research university just blocks from the White House, seeks a visionary and innovative Dean for its School of Business. It is an exciting time for the University and the School in a metro area that has become a dynamic finance and technology center with one of the highest rates of entrepreneurial start-ups in the country.
The Dean will bring together a dedicated group of faculty, staff, students, alumni, and friends who are engaged in outstanding scholarship and practice that aligns with GW's academic and geographic advantages. The Dean will be a proven, broad-gauged and visionary leader who can leverage recent growth and advancement, support the talents of an outstanding faculty, and optimize a location that is shared by many organizations and institutions that drive global capitalism. Job duties include:
- Provide strategy and sustainable vision
- Serve as a visible spokesperson for the School and advocate on its behalf
- Raise private funds and further build out the School's advancement function
- Achieve operational excellence
- Provide strong financial stewardship for the School in implementing the vision
- Support faculty in research and teaching
- Diversify the School's sources of revenue and funding
- Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
The University's main, Foggy Bottom campus is in downtown Washington, DC, four blocks to the west of the White House and literally sits in the epicenter of Washington DC's political and business activities.
The Dean is the chief academic and administrative officer of the School of Business and reports to the Provost. The Dean's leadership team consists of the Vice Dean and four associate deans, one each for undergraduate programs, graduate programs, doctoral programs, and executive programs, the Executive Director for Career Services and the Director of Marketing. Additional matrixed reports include the Director of Finance, Director Human Resources Client Services, and the Assistant Vice President for Development.
The Dean will work closely with faculty, professional staff, students, and alumni to shape the next era of the School of Business.Minimum Qualifications: Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
Candidates should have significant understanding of the academic fields of study commonly included in a school of business. In addition, the successful candidate will bring many of the following professional qualifications, skills, experiences, and personal qualities:
• Demonstrated ability to drive critical assessments, bring people together around a strategic vision and deliver organizational change to excel in a competitive environment.
• Open-minded and strategic innovator with the courage to implement change and take well-thought-out chances.
• A deep understanding of academic excellence and an appreciation for the fundamental importance of research and scholarship to the School.
Leading and Managing Teams
• Demonstrated track record of operational leadership that gives strong evidence of the capacity to manage a school of this size and complexity and achieve results.
• A proven record indicating the ability to continually raise expectations for excellence across all missions of a business school
• Experience developing and expanding online programs and other innovations for educational delivery.
• An understanding of and a commitment to increasing diversity at all levels of the School.
• Successful experience attracting, mentoring and retaining top faculty and developing leaders.
Communication, Building Relationships and Fundraising
• The ability to work effectively with a range of diverse stakeholders, including faculty, staff, students, alumni, industry, donors, and regional leaders as partners to advance the School and University.
• Experience and/or demonstrated ability to articulately and compellingly represent the School to external constituencies, enhancing the visibility, impact and support of its work.
• An understanding of the importance of the School's value proposition and experience connecting with business and industry leaders.
• A keen understanding of marketplace trends in curricular and programmatic innovation within business schools and across colleges.
• Strong written, oral, and interpersonal skills; the ability to communicate the School's needs, plans, and programs effectively.
• Strong interpersonal and organizational skills with a history of enabling the success of others.
• A genuine appreciation of and good rapport with students.
• Fiscal management experience with a demonstrated track record of driving revenues and finding appropriate cost levers
Intellectual Prowess and Passion for the Mission
• A record of scholarly and/or professional achievement that qualifies this individual for an appointment in a School aspiring to join the top ranks of global, research-oriented business schools.
• A history predictive of success in an entrepreneurial, innovative environment.
• Insight into the global opportunities and challenges facing business education and practice in a continually-changing environment.
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C. College/School/Department: School of Business (SB) Family Academic Affairs Sub-Family Academic Administration - School Stream Executive Level Level 3 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40+ Work Schedule: Monday through Friday Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
Nominations, applications, and inquiries are being accepted for the position. Consideration of candidates will continue until the position is filled. Candidates must submit a curriculum vitae and cover letter. All inquiries, nominations, referrals, and resumes with cover letters will be held in strict confidence and should be directed to:
Ponneh Varho, Vice President
Greg Esposito, Managing Associate
Anna Graulich, Associate
Electronic submission of materials is strongly encouraged.Internal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S006960 Job Open Date: 01/26/2018 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae