Apprentice - HVAC, Electrical, or Plumbing
Working Title: Apprentice - HVAC, Electrical, or Plumbing
Position Type: University Operational and Administrative Staff
Department: Facilities Management Department
Posting Date: 03-01-2018
Facilities Management at the University of Virginia is now accepting applications for our highly regarded Apprenticeship Program. This year, we are recruiting apprentices in the trades of Plumbing, Electrical, and HVAC.
The University of Virginia's Apprenticeship Program began in 1982 and was the first Apprenticeship Program started by a state agency. This unique program provides an opportunity to learn a trade while working as a full-time employee at UVA. Apprenticeships are full-time, paid positions with UVA benefits. Apprentices learn their selected trade through a combination of on-the-job training, technical education and classroom instruction over a four-year period. This training is fully paid for by the University of Virginia.
This employee will be trained through the apprenticeship program to become skilled and licensed in one of the areas below. Starting salary also included below.
- Electrician in the maintenance, repair, and new construction of the electrical system to the University community. Starting salary is $28,750.
- HVAC Mechanic in the maintenance, repair, and new construction of the HVAC system to the University community. Starting salary is $30,000.
- Plumber in the maintenance, repair, and new construction of equipment, systems, and piping; building domestic water, chilled water, and steam/heating hot water, storm, and sanitary sewer equipment, systems, and piping; and distribution piping systems and equipment to the University community. Starting salary is $28,750.
Training will consist of rotations throughout Facilities Management to provide a broad range of skills to support University construction and maintenance needs.
Apprentices work inside and outside in all weather conditions. Apprentices may work in mechanical spaces, small and confined spaces, research and labs, and may work off ladders and scaffolding. Positions require working on mechanical systems requiring bending, squatting, stooping, climbing ladders, scaffolding and stairs, and repetitive motion. It is necessary to be able to carry tools, ladders and parts to perform work.
Online Applications for this year's Apprenticeship positions will be accepted from March 1 through midnight on March 26, 2018. The candidates selected for hire will start work in July 2018. Applicants must be at least 18 years old and possess a high school diploma or equivalent by the start date on July 23, 2018.
To apply, visit http://jobs.virginia.edu, and search for Posting #0622786. Applicants are required to complete a staff application. Applicants should indicate which trade(s) they are interested in when completing the required questions attached to the application. Resume, letter of recommendation from someone other than a family member, and contact information for three references are required. Additional letters of recommendation are optional.
The University of Virginia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. An aptitude for good classroom performance as demonstrated through high school or post high school performance.
2. Good communication skills.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=84010