Director of Admissions, School of Law (Admissions Director RC), UCP 8
Job Title: Director of Admissions, School of Law (Admissions Director RC), UCP 8
Job ID: 2018455
Location: School Of Law
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The University of Connecticut seeks applications for the position of Director of Admissions for the UConn School of Law, one of the leading public law schools in the country. Founded in 1921, the Law School offers a high-quality education emphasizing intellectual discipline and development of the professional analytic skills required to meet the challenge of continuing change in the law and society.
The campus, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is among the most beautiful of any law school in the United States and has one of the largest law libraries in the world. It is located two miles from the center of Hartford in a neighborhood of large Victorian homes, where many students, staff, and faculty live. The location offers easy access to the state Capitol, courts and agencies, and the offices of Hartford's law firms and corporations.
The position of Director of Admissions reports to the Assistant Dean for Enrollment and Students as a senior member of the Law School's Admissions team. The Director is responsible for managing and directing the recruiting, admissions, programming and retention programs of the Office of Admissions for the School of Law.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Serves as the principle resource to students, faculty, and the public on all matters relating to admissions procedures; Prescreens and evaluates all applications and subject to the wishes of the Admissions Committee, denies or grants admissions in clear-cut cases; Reviews applications for admission: analyzes the objective data, appraises the writing quality and intellectual depth of essays, reviews transcripts, evaluates the letters of reference, and makes a recommendation on admission; Assists with the distribution and management of scholarships; Prepares studies, analyses and statistical reports as the basis for recommending changes in admissions policy to attract, enroll and retain a diverse JD student population and actively recruits prospective students; Attends national venues designed to attract a diverse student population, including visits to campuses, law fairs and specialized recruiting events; Participates in the drafting and editing of all admissions and recruitment materials; Analyzes and plans a broad media/social media outreach strategy for the Office of Admissions; Supervises and develops the department staff; and Represents the School at local, regional and national seminars and conferences.
- J.D. degree or Master's degree in appropriate discipline and two (2) years of admissions or financial aid experience, or a Bachelor's degree and three (3) to five (5) years of admissions or financial aid experience.
- Thorough working knowledge of recruitment and admissions strategies, and a proven record of success in admissions.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative relationships with schools, universities, community organizations, and other institutions.
- Demonstrated ability to work with individuals and groups from diverse populations, coupled with knowledge and understanding of issues related to diversity recruiting.
- Excellent counseling and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to interpret policies and procedures to prospective students and the public.
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills to collect, analyze and interpret data from diverse sources to recommend a course of action.
- Willingness to travel extensively and to work irregular and flexible hours, including nights and weekends.
- Five years of admissions experience in higher education.
- Thorough and comprehensive knowledge of academic programs, including curricula, admissions requirements, and financial aid programs found at law schools.
- Knowledge of trends, industries and functions as they relate to law school applicants.
- Working knowledge of Aces2 the law school admissions database.
- Experience creating and implementing a broad-based strategic plan.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of marketing and promotional tools and experience in publications and mediums, including social media, used for outreach and recruitment.
- Administrative experience.
- Ability to manage a team of professional and student staff through a complex set of activities with deadlines and priorities.
This is a full-time position located in Hartford. The University offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits including employee and dependent tuition waiver at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment.
Please apply via UConn Jobs, www.jobs.uconn.edu, Staff Positions. Online application submittals should include a current resume or curriculum vitae, contact information for five (5) professional references, and a letter of interest that explains how the applicant's skills and experience match the qualifications required and the duties and responsibilities of the position. Review of nominations and applications will begin immediately. Priority will be given to applications received by March 30, 2018. Employment of the successful candidate will be contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search # 2018455)
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on March 30, 2018.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University's teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn's ranking as one of the nation's top research universities. UConn's faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.