Sustainability Program Manager, (Program Administrator), UCP 6
Job Title: Sustainability Program Manager, (Program Administrator), UCP 6
Job ID: 2018426
Location: Storrs Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Reporting to and under the guidance of the Director of the Office of Environmental Policy (OEP), develops, plans and administers UConn's sustainability initiatives and programs that reduce environmental impacts, improve efficiency of the University's operations, preserve natural resources and promote conservation-based behavior, increase environmental awareness, engage students in experiential learning opportunities, and demonstrate research by showcasing the campus as a living laboratory for sustainable technologies and practices.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES
- Develops, plans, and administers programs, initiatives and events related to sustainability in coordination with multiple UConn colleges, divisions, departments and student organizations.
- Supervises student interns in the OEP's Sustainability Office that includes recruitment and selection, assigning projects, priorities and establishing appropriate workloads and workflows, reviewing and editing draft plans, reports, meeting notes, announcements, and correspondence to ensure accuracy, completeness, professionalism and consistency with overall objectives and strategies.
- Assists the Director as advisor to EcoHusky and works with its members, as well as EcoHouse residents, and other environmental clubs and student organizations, as a liaison to the OEP and appropriate faculty and staff members, ensuring effective communication and collaboration on sustainability programs and activities.
- Organizes meetings of UConn's Environmental Policy Advisory Council (EPAC) and its workgroups; drafts agendas, prepares presentations, handouts, meeting notes and minutes, and follow-ups on action items.
- Chairs the EPAC Recycling Workgroup and is a point-of-contact for all waste reduction and recycling-related outreach materials and programs, such as Give-and-Go, Sneaker Recycling, Green Gamedays and Recyclemania.
- Works with departments and divisions across the University on student, faculty and staff outreach, engagement and assessment programs and initiatives. Represents the OEP's Sustainability Office by organizing and/or participating in periodic meetings to help develop these programs and achieve sustainability goals.
- Coordinates implementation of recommended strategies and action items in UConn's Climate Action Plan (CAP), and works with the OEP Director to oversee any required reporting or revision of the CAP.
- Oversees publication of the OEP's Sustainability Office website and blog, a periodic Sustainability Progress Report and newsletter, and social media communications, as well as other informational and promotional materials related to campus sustainability activities and events.
- May serve as an alternate to the Director in representing the OEP's Sustainability Office to the public, by participating in events, conferences and meetings hosted by the town, environmental groups, regulatory agencies, community stakeholders and professional associations, including some activities on weekends and evenings, in order to cultivate partnerships, promote the University's leadership, and advance the principles of UConn's Environmental Policy Statement.
- Supports efforts by the Director of OEP to mainstream sustainability issues within the work of other UConn advisory committees.
- Assists the Director in defining goals, performance metrics and a long-term plan for sustainability at UConn. Monitors and evaluates program effectiveness, documents performance trends and recommends and implements programmatic changes and improvements.
- Prepares grant applications and assists the Director and Administrative Coordinator in developing budgets for the OEP's Sustainability Office. Monitors and reconciles expenditure of budgeted funds.
- Works with the Director and the UConn Foundation on fundraising activities for UConn's Campus Sustainability Fund, including meetings with prospective and current donors.
- Independently researches best practices and compiles data to prepare reports that require thorough knowledge of policies, procedures, and activities. Assists in developing, implementing, and reporting on sustainability assessments and surveys.
- Bachelor's degree in an environmental or sustainability-related discipline and at least 3-5 years relevant experience or a Master's degree in a related discipline and at least 1-2 years relevant experience.
- Experience implementing sustainability initiatives at a college or university, business, governmental agency or similar public or private institution.
- Administrative and organizational skills, and demonstrated experience supervising and mentoring.
- Strong writing, editing, communication and presentation skills.
- Good interpersonal skills, with the ability to work effectively with University faculty, staff and students as well as external constituents.
- Ability to creatively resolve problems, effectively, efficiently, and independently.
- Good computer skills, including a working knowledge of Microsoft Office and various social media platforms, and an ability to learn new software as necessary.
- May be required to work occasional evenings and/or weekends.
- May be required to travel off-campus for events, meetings and other activities.
- Other relevant subject matter expertise, education, training or professional certifications in addition to the above-referenced degrees.
- Web development experience and experience writing, producing and editing sustainability progress reports, newsletters, blogs and/or social media posts.
- Experience preparing Sustainability Tracking Assessment and Rating System (STARS) submittals, GHG inventories and related Carbon/Climate Commitment reports, or similar sustainability-related surveys and periodic reports.
- Work experience in higher education.
This is a full-time position located at the Storrs campus. The work schedule will be Monday-Friday, and requires flexibility to work an occasional evening or weekend, as needed. Salary will be commensurate with education and experience. Employment of the successful candidate will be contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search #2018426)
Interested applicants please apply online at UConn Jobs, at http://jobs.uconn.edu, Staff Positions, and upload a letter of interest, resume, and a list of three professional references. Screening will begin immediately.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on March 15, 2018.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University's teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn's ranking as one of the nation's top research universities. UConn's faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.