UNT Controller - 926200
Is this an internal posting only?
M-F 8-5 w/ flex and some overtime, as needed
The UNT System Controller department provides all accounting, reporting, and service focused accounting operations for the University of North Texas System and component institutions. The areas of responsibility include Campus Accounting & Reporting, Student Accounting Services, Accounts Payable, Payroll, and Tax.
The University of North Texas System is comprised of three component institutions with four major locations: University of North Texas located in Denton, TX, University of North Texas Health Science Center located in Fort Worth, TX, University of North Texas at Dallas located in the Oak Cliff area of Dallas, TX, and University of North Texas System located in Downtown Dallas, TX.
This position is located in Denton at the UNT System Business Service Center (Woodhill Square).
The UNT Controller Department at the University of North Texas System is seeking to hire a Accountant to join our team. This position performs routine (journey-level) accounting work. Work involves maintaining, preparing, posting, and balancing accounting and financial statements, records, documents, or reports. May specialize in some phase of accounting work such as federal funds accounting, property and equipment control, cost, payroll, budgeting, or bond servicing. Works under moderate supervision, with limited latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Prepares financial statements, reports, schedules, and exhibits; prepares and/or processes general journal entries; and prepares and/or processes payment, cash, purchase, travel, and related vouchers.
* Prepares periodic analyses of fund balances and expenditures, and prepares technical reports on payroll, estimates, cost data, and budget items.
* Audits accounting and financial documents for accuracy and compliance with departmental policies and procedures and state and federal statutes.
* Classifies, codes, posts, and balances financial and accounting documents and records.
* Receives cash, prepares deposit slips, and maintains cash control records.
* Researches and reconciles discrepancies in accounts, bank statements, or appropriation balances; and reports findings.
* Reviews agency accounting records, such as expenditure, fund, appropriation, expense and revenue collection records, and ensures agency assets are accounted for properly.
* May recommend improvements, adaptations, or revisions to the accounting system and accompanying procedures.
* May check and audit timekeeping records for compliance with established standards.
* Performs related work as assigned.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree in accounting, finance or a related field and two years of accounting experience; or any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training and experience.
The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and procedures affecting the maintenance of accounting records and automated accounting systems.
* Ability to interpret and apply accounting theory; to work accurately with numerical detail; to analyze, consolidate, and interpret accounting data; and to communicate effectively.
* Experience working in one or more functional areas of accounting.
Skill in using office computer information systems to organize, store, manipulate and retrieve data.
* Strong working knowledge of applicable federal and state laws, and accounting practices.
* Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
* Ability to analyze, consolidate, and present accounting data in clear concise form.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* State of Texas experience
* Higher education experience
* Peoplesoft financials experience
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Salary commensurate with experience
Quicklink for Posting