Engineer (Design Project Manager)
Requisition Number S1365
Position Number 744 - Repost
Position Classification Title Engineer
Functional Title Engineer (Design Project Manager)
Position Type Staff
This is a re-post and candidates that have applied do not need to reapply.
Facilities Design & Construction (FDC), manages improvement projects through the design and construction phases for the University. It's mission is to minimize financial risk and achieve the best possible results within the budget and time frame required for the benefit of the entire campus community. The department builds consensus and educates faculty, staff, students, designers and contractors in order to achieve the highest quality product possible. Facilities is very focused on employee engagement. The University is a sustainable campus with 8 buildings that are LEED Certified. UNCG has been granted Millennial Campus designation- Health and Wellness & Visual and Performing Arts. These two districts create opportunities for growth, development of innovative academic experiences, and the creation of unique public-private partnerships for the University. FDC is helping to build and sustain the community, as committed in the educational mission of The University of North Carolina at Greensboro.
Individual in this banded class manage the programming and design portions of renovation and new capital improvement projects greater than $2M. This position will also manage and coordinate the design process with the end users and the designers. Projects will range from $30,000 to $60 million dollars. This position will have practical knowledge and experience in mechanical, electrical, and plumbing disciplines. Project experience in fire alarms, mechanical systems, utility infrastructure, and plumbing systems. Construction phase assignments will be made as needed to meet the needs of the department and project manager's work load.
Primary duties include but are not limited to:
Provide design solutions to resolve campus renovations that are not led by an outside consultant
Provide the campus with NC State Building Code interpretation
Provide input for meeting Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design criteria (LEED)
Provide oversight and management of the design process that has significant budgetary, economic, organizational and community impact
Provide guidance in material & color selection to maintain University campus fabric
Provide input for development of project descriptions, budget and schedule for University Capital plans
Provide leadership with community and City of Greensboro engagement as the campus expands into adjoining neighborhood
Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Sick / FMLA / Disability / Military Leave / Vacation
- State Retirement Program- This means a "retirement check for life"
- Paid Holidays- 12 holidays are recognized annually
- Medical / Dental / Vision / Life Insurance (Health care for employees is very low cost. Health care for families is reasonable, but you need to buy in.)
- 24 hours Community Involvement annually
- State 401 (k) investment which the State matches 6% of your salary
- Education Tuition Assistance: Tuition and the charges will be waived for a maximum of two (2) courses per academic year
- Many other training opportunities
BACHELOR'S DEGREE IN THE ENGINEERING DISCIPLINE RELATED TO THE AREA OF ASSIGNMENT; OR EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE. SOME POSITIONS MAY REQUIRE LICENSURE BY THE NORTH CAROLINA BOARD OF EXAMINERS FOR ENGINEERS AND SURVEYORS. ALL DEGREES MUST BE RECEIVED FROM APPROPRIATELY ACCREDITED INSTITUTIONS.
Five (5) years experience in higher education
Project Management experience with the NC State Construction Office
Experience in mechanical, electrical, and plumbing projects including but not limited to, fire alarms, HVAC and plumbing modifications and retrofits, utility infrastructure and electrical upgrades in medium voltage systems.
Excellent oral and written communication skills
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.
Recruitment Range $72,861 to $81,000
Org #-Department Facilities Design & Construction - 56411
Work Hours of Position 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Job Family Engineering and Architecture
Competency Level Advanced
Open Date 03/02/2018
Close Date 04/02/2018
Job Close Date
Salary Grade Equivalency 74
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
- List of References
- Reference Letter 1
- Reference Letter 2
- Reference Letter 3
- Salary History
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Which of the following options best describes your higher education history?
- No Response
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in a directly related field
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in an unrelated field
- Associate's Degree in a directly related field
- Associate's Degree in an unrelated field
- 3 years
- 2 years
- 1 year
- less than 1 year
- High School Diploma or GED
- * How many years of experience in a directly related field do you have?
- No Response
- 6 or more years
- 5 years
- 4 years
- 3 years
- 2 years
- 1 year
- 4 months
- less than 4 months
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Greensboro News & Record
- Carolina Peacemaker
- Other Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other Professional Journal
- UNC System Job Board
- Other Online Job Board
- Personal Networking
- * If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu