(MCCC-Tenure Track) Faculty Member - Visual Art/Graphics
Holyoke Community College: the opportunities you want; the future you're looking for.
For over 65 years, Holyoke Community College has been a gateway to quality education and career advancement. Seeking to realize their dreams and aspirations, more than 100,000 students have come through the open doors of the College. HCC offers over 100 different academic options.
The Commonwealth's oldest community college, Holyoke Community College serves more than 12,500 students annually in credit and noncredit programs and courses. The college has the highest transfer rate of any community college statewide, holding articulation agreements with more than 27 colleges and universities. Recognized for its Honors Program, distance learning curriculum, learning communities, and service to students, HCC also offers business development opportunities through the Kittredge Center for Business and Workforce Development.
Under the direction of the Dean of Arts & Humanities, primary responsibilities include the following:
- Teaches beginning to advanced Commercial Art and Graphic Design courses and two-dimensional foundation courses.
- Develops and revises courses and curricula as needed.
- Designs, proposes, and teaches new typography courses.
- Coordinates and advances the Graphics Option Program.
- Oversees the Graphic Design Certificate and interview student applicants.
- Contributes to department efforts to recruit and retain students.
- Oversees design and production of posters, pamphlets, journals, and promotional materials for selected college events and activities.
- Works with IT staff to manage and maintain the computer lab and equipment.
- Remains knowledgeable and proficient in current Graphic Design software and practices; engages future developments and trends in the field.
- Provides academic advising.
- Meets with and assists students during office hours.
- Participates in college governance committees, as well as other committees, task forces, and sub-committees.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: MFA in Graphic Design or closely related field; Minimum of three years college teaching experience; Demonstrated excellent teaching skills, including varied pedagogical strategies; Expertise in graphic design practices and principles and in evolving computer programs and digital design tools; Knowledge of contemporary and traditional methodologies in the field, both digital and analog; Evidence of relevant professional achievements and/or exhibition record; Excellent communication skills; Commitment to teaching a student body diverse in ability, age, ethnicity, race, and sexual orientation; Ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty, staff and administration.
NOTE: A teaching demonstration will be part of the interview process.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: A record of teaching excellence in graphic design, either at a community college or at the first year/sophomore college level; Broad knowledge of graphic design and engagement with contemporary issues in the field.
COMPENSATION: Salary Range: $44,874-$50,000 Actual salary will be commensurate with education and experience in accordance with MCCC/MTA Collective Bargaining Agreement. Full State benefits package.
STARTING DATE: Fall, 2018
EQUIVALENCY STATEMENT: Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements are encouraged to put in writing precisely how their background and experience have prepared them for the responsibilities of this position.
Holyoke Community College is committed to excellence and opportunity through diversity in education and employment. Holyoke Community College is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, religion, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information, maternity leave, and national origin, in its education programs or employment.
- All candidates must have legal authorization to work in the United States. HCC is not sponsoring H1B Visa.
- Pre-Employment Background check, including Criminal History will be conducted for all positions.
Applicants interested in applying MUST submit the following documents via online:
- Letter of Interest (Cover Letter)
- List of references with names, email addresses, & telephone numbers of three professional references.
- A portfolio in pdf format including creative and professional work as well as work produced by your students. You may provide a link to a website where these images may be viewed, or send a CD with no more than 20 images to Gail Golas, Administrative Assistant, 370 Donahue Building, Holyoke Community College, Holyoke, MA, 01040
- Sample syllabi
- Statement of teaching philosophy
DEADLINE: Screening will begin with applications received by March 28, 2018. Additional applications may be considered until position is filled.
Returning applicants - https://hcc.interviewexchange.com/login.jsp to check completed application.