Sponsored Research Business Analyst - School of Chemical Sciences (A1800129)
Sponsored Research Business Analyst
School of Chemical Sciences
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The School of Chemical Sciences (SCS) seeks a full-time (12-month) academic professional as Sponsored Research Business Analyst. This position reports to the Senior Business Analyst in the SCS Business Office and will manage financial and regulatory aspects of sponsored research grants, contracts and subcontracts for faculty investigators in a nationally recognized top-volume research environment for the Departments of Chemistry and Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering, exercising discretion, authority and independent decision-making.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Work directly with faculty in Chemistry and Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering on proposal submissions, focusing on interpretation of guidelines, assisting with complex budget and budget justification preparation, and serving as a liaison between the faculty and SPA Pre-Award.
- Manage a post-award portfolio with an average of 50 active grants: includes reconciling monthly balances with BANNER; corresponding with faculty throughout the life of the grant on items such as allowable expenses, personnel needs, and abiding by federal and private agency regulations; assisting with close-out; and serving as a liaison between the faculty and SPA Post-Award.
- Provide expenditure projections and forecast financial trends for faculty funding portfolios.
- Conduct analysis of faculty effort in accordance with regulatory compliance requirements.
- Advocate for faculty while representing the School and the University during negotiations with external funding agencies.
- Work closely with departmental financial administration, as well as research administrators in other units across campus, including collaborating with inter-disciplinary researchers and business offices on campus and at other institutions of higher learning and private foundations during both the application and award execution process.
- Establish professional rapport with departmental and central campus offices to facilitate effective and efficient business processes.
- Exhibit discretion in professional judgment.
- Take independent action and exercise individual authority based upon level of knowledge and professional experience.
- Exhibit motivation to seek continuing education opportunities or relevant professional certifications, including attending meetings and trainings to continue seeking best practices and policy information as it pertains to University, state, and federal regulations.
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of 2 years' experience in a complex business, academic, research or government environment, preferably at an institution of higher learning.
- Proven effective organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills, including great attention to detail.
- Demonstrated exceptional professional service skills, including discretion in professional judgment.
- Ability to take independent action and exercise individual authority based upon level of knowledge and professional experience.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize.
- Highly developed communication skills through written and oral correspondence.
- Proven ability to work in an integrated team.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and to represent the School and University in a professional manner.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Governmental Accounting Standards (GAS).
- Extensive knowledge of PC-based tools including Word, Excel and database applications.
- Bachelor's degree in business, finance, or a related field.
- Experience in accounting and auditing.
- UIUC Certified Research Administrator Certification.
- Knowledge of sponsored program activity within a complex research environment and knowledge of University business procedures.
- Willingness to recommend or develop and implement other related systems for sponsored research management as needed.
Salary and Start Date: Commensurate with qualifications and experience. Starting date is as soon as possible after closing date.
Application Procedures: For full consideration, please create your candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and email information for three references by the closing date of March 14, 2018. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date.
For further information/questions: Contact the SCS HR Office at email@example.com or 217-300-1637.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon accepting a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Sponsored Research Business Analyst - School of Chemical Sciences (A1800129)
Open Date: 02/28/2018
Close Date: 03/14/2018
Organization Name: School of Chemical Sciences