Research Program Manager - Coordinated Science Laboratory (A1800133)
Research Program Manager
Coordinated Science Laboratory
College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Coordinated Science Laboratory (CSL) of the University of Illinois invites applications for a newly created part-time (50%) position, Research Program Manager. This position will manage and oversee the day-to-day activities and functions of the Alliance for Internet of Battlefield Things on Evolving Intelligent Goal-driven Networks (IoBT REIGN). REIGN will develop the fundamental understanding of dynamically-composable, adaptive, goal-driven IoBTs to enable predictive analytics for intelligent command and control and battlefield services. CSL is a premier, multidisciplinary research laboratory in the College of Engineering, focusing on the information technology at the crossroads of computing, control and communications. With a rich history of more than 65 years of innovation, CSL has developed and deployed new technologies that have achieved international scientific recognition and transformed society. Led by a faculty of world-renowned experts and researchers, CSL uses the innovations to explore critical issues in the Internet of Things, health IT, cyber trust, and intelligent robotics.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage and oversee activities, functions and operational logistics between the organizations participating in the Alliance and ensure that the operations of the Alliance are in compliance with ARL Alliance requirements and provide assistance to the Alliance Principal Investigator and other co-Principal Investigators.
- Liaise with the CSL Business Office, Human Resource Office, and the Office of Sponsored Programs Administration to ensure proper grant administration, develop budgets, facilitate student, staff and faculty appointments, and prepare quarterly and annual reports.
- Oversee the overall budget of the Alliance and ensure the proper flow of funds between all stakeholders.
- Coordinate research project management activities across the Alliance including Initial Program Plan/Biennial Program Plan (IPP/BPP) volume integration, and provide logistic support for the IPP/BPP process (e.g., white paper review system administration, hosting, etc.).
- Assist the Principal Investigator in the establishment of a Midwest hub.
- Serve as the primary liaison to Alliance and other stakeholders which include duties such as the dissemination of information, planning and organizing committee meetings, addressing needs and questions, and the timely completion of reports and plans.
- Work with the CSL Communications and Engineering IT offices to develop and maintain a web presence (both external and internal), as well as appropriate web tools such as wikis to support collaborations and internal Alliance communications by utilizing various formats and media to communicate goals.
- Work with faculty to ensure the collection and storage of appropriate data and oversee the creation of data repositories necessary to meet the data management plan for the Alliance.
- Travel, as needed, to coordinate activities between the Alliance partners.
- Assume additional duties to contribute to the overall mission of the Laboratory.
- A Bachelor's degree in a field related to administration, communications, information management or technology.
- At least two years of experience in program coordination or management.
- Demonstrated project and organizational skills are required.
- Must have superior organizational skills, outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Must have the ability to work independently in a dynamic environment.
- A Master's degree in in a field related to administration, communications, information management or technology.
- At least two years of experience in program coordination or management in an academic research environment or government research laboratory.
- Experience in working and interfacing in a collaborative manner across universities and other organizations.
- Experience working with and reporting to federal agencies and research laboratories such as ARL, DoD, etc.
- Experience with website development and maintenance.
- Experience with the development of information and marketing materials.
- Experience with event planning.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective work relationships with internal and external constituencies.
- Demonstrated management and organizational skills and the ability to see projects to completion.
This is a part-time (50%) benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the full consideration date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. In the future, this position could be made full-time (100%) based on the needs of the department and available funding.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter; resume; and the names/contact information of three professional references by March 21, 2018. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by this date.
For further information regarding this position, you may contact Amy Gilbert, HR Specialist at 217-244-1802 or [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Engineering
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Research Program Manager - Coordinated Science Laboratory (A1800133)
Open Date: 02/28/2018
Close Date: 03/21/2018
Organization Name: Coordinated Science Lab