Academic Advisor - Department of Communication (A1800130)
Department of Communication
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Department of Communication seeks outstanding candidates for the position of Academic Advisor. The primary responsibility of this position involves mentoring and advising undergraduate students in the Department of Communication regarding course selection, career interests, degree progress, and other issues related to the undergraduate academic experience.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Advising Communication majors and minors on curricular requirements.
- Assisting students with course selection and registration.
- Contributing to the design and execution of student recruitment efforts.
- Assisting incoming students during summer orientation.
- Familiarizing students with UIUC policies, regulations, and graduation requirements.
- Monitoring student progress toward degree completion.
- Advocating on behalf of students experiencing personal difficulties and referring them to appropriate campus resources.
- Advising students on academic opportunities including study abroad and teaching, research, and career internship programs.
- Advising students on post-baccalaureate plans such as graduate or professional schools and careers.
- Using DARS, Banner, and UGradRecs to create and maintain files for all undergraduate students to record and track students' progress toward a degree and to determine when students need additional academic assistance in order to design individual support plans for students.
- Planning and assisting with undergraduate student events, including orientation, convocation, and activity fairs.
- Representing the department at student activities.
Secondary duties could include working with department-related student groups; selecting and supervising student advising interns; participating in departmental communication/marketing efforts; and teaching up to two courses per year in Communication, as needed by the department.
- Master's degree
- A minimum of two years of advising and/or teaching experience at the university level in communication or a closely related field.
- Sensitivity to issues concerning human diversity, including issues related to race, culture, class, religion, gender, sexual identity, and disability.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students, faculty members, administrators, and other advising colleagues.
- Working knowledge of and experience with DARS, Banner, and UGradRecs
- Familiarity with the organizational and pedagogical needs of a communication curriculum.
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION
This is a full-time, 12-month academic position with benefits. Eligibility for benefits are contingent on your citizenship or work authorization. For full details on eligibility requirements, please reference http://humanresources.illinois.edu/employees/new-hires/benefits.html .
Salary will be commensurate with experience. The expected starting date is on or before May 7, 2018.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE INFORMATION
Please create your candidate profile through https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload application materials through this system, including your application letter, curriculum vitae, and advising philosophy. Applicants also must submit contact information for three professional references. To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by March 14, 2018. For more information, please contact: Prof. Cara Finnegan, firstname.lastname@example.org. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
College Name or Administrative Unit: Liberal Arts and Sciences
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Academic Advisor - Department of Communication (A1800130)
Open Date: 02/28/2018
Organization Name: Communication