Per Diem Nurse Supervisor
Per Diem Nurse Supervisor-1800565
Position Summary: At the Long Island State Veterans Home, our Nurse Supervisors are critical members of the team who coordinate and supervise the care of the residents on the assigned shift. Nurse Supervisors work closely with the Nurse/Manager(s) in assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating the care of the residents. Nurse Supervisors work closely with the In-service Coordinator, Infection Control, Wound Care Specialist and Quality Assurance Coordinator to ensure that the skill needs of the staff promote quality of resident care. Nurse Supervisors will be required to work weekends and holidays on a rotating basis as well as cover other shifts as needed. Duties of a Nurse Supervisor may include the following but are not limited to:
- Assists the Director of Nursing in the development of an effective reporting system between all levels of staff from shift to shift.
- Collaborates with the Nurse/Managers in the supervision and management of the staff on assigned shift.
- Supervises and evaluates the care needs of the residents and ensures the following on his/her assigned shift:
- The appropriate numbers and skill level of staff.
- Adequate and appropriate supplies.
- Adequate and functioning equipment.
- Safe and clean environment
- Ensures that all staff understand, protect, and promote the rights of each resident.
- Manages, coordinates and communicates with other professionals and departments to ensure the care of residents.
- Collaborates and effectively communicates with other professionals and departments to ensure the care of residents.
- Collaborates with the Director of Nursing and Quality Assurance Coordinator in collecting and evaluating data relevant to the function of the department and the quality of resident care.
- Acts as a role model for staff and preceptor for student nurses.
- Accessible to residents, families, visitors to listen and respond to concerns or inquiries in a positive and timely manner.
- Collaborates with the In-service Coordinator to identify and providing for the in-service needs of the staff and the implementation of an effective orientation program.
Working conditions may involve exposure to infectious disease, blood, body fluids and/or tissue as well as other unpleasant elements such as accidents, injuries and illness. May be exposed to and be required to handle varying unpredictable, emergency and crisis situations. Occasionally subjected to irregular hours and pressure due to multiple calls and inquiries, as well as weather related situations. Required Qualifications:
NYS Registered Nurse License. Clinical practice experience working with an adult or aging population in a clinical setting. AAS degree. Two years of supervisory experience working in a health care facility. Preferred Qualifications:
Gerontology Certification Special Notes:
The Long Island State Veterans Home is a tobacco-free environment. Tobacco products are strictly prohibited anywhere on our 25-acre campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises. The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date,
the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from the Long Island State Veterans Home Employee Health Department, clear a background investigation, submit three (3) written references, and provide a copy of the required license(s)/certificate(s), if applicable. Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer. The LISVH is a 24/7 skilled nursing facility. As such, all positions are subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary to meet the operating needs of the facility. The Long Island State Veterans Home, located on the campus of Stony Brook University, is a 350-bed skilled nursing facility with a 40-slot Adult Day Health Care Program dedicated to the care of honorably discharged Veterans of the United States Armed Forces, their spouses and widows as well as Gold Star parents. Join an organization whose people make a difference every day and where commitment, compassion, initiative and leadership are recognized and rewarded. We care for America's heroes every day.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive campus climate. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply. IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161
OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700
. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING(631) 632-6350
. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AThttp://www.stonybrook.edu/police
. Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected]. Official Job Title:
TH Senior Staff AssociateJob Field:
US-NY-Stony BrookDepartment/Hiring Area:
Nursing-Long Island State Veterans HomeSchedule:
Per Diem Variable VaryNursing-Long Island State Veterans HomePosting Start Date:
Feb 28, 2018Posting End Date:
Mar 14, 2018, 10:59:00 PMSalary:
Commensurate with experienceSalary Grade:
Share this job with your network:
Learn more on Inside Higher Ed's College Page for University