Adolescent Residential Counselor
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine/Addiction Research and Treatment Services (ARTS)
Adolescent Residential Counselor
Position #00647088 Posting #12750
This class series uses two levels in the Health Care Services Occupational Group and describes attending to the physical comfort, personal appearance and safety of patients. The work includes assisting clients with personal hygiene; escorting, transporting, or accompanying clients; answering call lights and attending to routine health needs; assisting with routine nursing care; providing general health information; and observing and reporting client behavior. Positions work under the direction of nursing or medical staff.
This full-time, University Staff (unclassified), position provides instruction/teaching at the Synergy residential which serves 13-15 adolescent males, ages 14-19 years old. This position exists to supervise/manage clients, monitor, intervene in and record client behavior and activity: to ensure safety of staff and clients; perform all necessary paperwork and record keeping per agency, OBH, Signal, DYC, and RCCF keeping per agency, OBH, Signal, DYC, and RCCF licensing requirements.
This position will observe, monitor, and intervene in drug/alcohol treatment through addressing client behaviors in the milieu; ensure compliance with program structure; with Shift supervisor design consequences for negative behaviors, facilitate clients progress through treatment by conducting weekly individual sessions on all clients; ensure safety of staff and clients; co-facilitate/support group education/counseling to all Synergy clients; perform line staff duties to include medication monitoring (once QMAP certified), perform client head counts, perform off-site verifications, perform random inspections of the premises and contraband searches; attend staff meetings, individual supervision and trainings; and perform other duties as assigned or required.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Assists in conducting group psycho-education groups, provides individual tracking sessions, completes accompanying documentation.
- Documents urinalysis tests.
- Completes following documentation for clients on caseload: weekly reports, monthly reports, incident reports.
- Provides supervision of the TC milieu. Observe, monitor, and intervene in drug/alcohol treatment through addressing client behaviors for negative behaviors and develop assignments to modify client behaviors.
- Attends and participate in weekly supervision and staff meetings.
- Conducts internal facility and external facility/grounds checks
- Transports clients in State vehicle to medical/dental appointments, outings in the community, court, etc.
This position covers the four pm to midnight shift; either a straight or rotating shift; may be required to stay over late or come in early to cover shifts as needed. This position may be required to work holidays and/or over nights as we are a 24/7 residential facility. This position may also be required to respond to any emergencies as needed.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is $26,000 and is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. To ensure ARTS program integrity, prospective employees may be required to submit to pre-employment urine testing.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Must possess a GED or High School Diploma. (Please attach a copy of your transcripts, diploma, or certificate)
- One year of experience appropriate to the work assignment.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Must agree to fingerprinting and criminal background check. Required background checks include a review with the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) AND the Central Registry of Child Protection (Trails).
- Subject to pre-employment, post-accident or incident or reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing per UCD Addiction Research and Treatment Services Department Policies.
- Must possess and maintain a valid State of Colorado driver's license at time of hire or be able to obtain a valid State of Colorado driver's license within 30 days of hire.
- Must be willing and able to cover the four pm to midnight shift, either a straight or rotating shift.
- Must be willing and able to work holidays, and/or over nights as ARTS is a 24/7 residential facility
- Must be willing able to respond to any emergencies as needed
- In accordance with the Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA), ARTS cannot employ individuals (who may have contact with residents) who have (1) engaged in sexual abuse in a prison, jail, lockup, community confinement facility, juvenile facility, or other Institution (as defined in 42 U.S. C. § 1997); (2) been convicted of engaging or attempting to engage in sexual activity in the community facilitated by force, overt or implied threats of force, or coercion, or if the victim did not consent or was unable to consent or refuse; or (3) been civilly or administratively adjudicated to have engaged in the activity described in (1-3) of this section. Material omissions regarding such misconduct, or the provision of materially false information, shall be grounds for termination
- Experience working with offender population
- Experience documenting behaviors according to established policies and procedures
- Experience observing, monitoring and documenting urinalysis/breathalyzer testing
- Experience in observing, monitoring and documenting medication usage
- Experience in head counts/bed check
- Experience filing and auditing clinical charts
- Experience writing incident reports
- Experience and knowledge of Federal Confidentiality laws concerning Drug and Alcohol treatment and HIPAA
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs and ability to learn software programs
- Experience using an Electronic Health Record
- Ability to elevate decision making to higher level based on policies and procedures.
- Ability to investigate, evaluate, and fact check information that needs to be conveyed to outside constituencies, in the matters of their clients we treat, in a complete and professional manner.
- Ability to be nonjudgmental and respectful of others beliefs, values, and culture
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter/letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references. 4) Additional Attachment: copy of transcripts, diploma, or certificate. Questions should be directed to Sample Name at [email protected]
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Additional Attachments - Refer to Application Materials Instructions Below
Application Materials Instructions:Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled
Job Category: Health Care
Primary Location: Denver
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20280 - SOM-PSYCH-ARTS SP/G
Posting Date: Feb 28, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Irene Arguelles
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00647088