LMS & STUDENT PORTAL DEVELOPER
Duties: The Penn Libraries' Teaching, Research, and Learning (TRL) Services directorate seeks an enterprising, collaborative developer for the position of Learning Management System and Student Portal Developer. Reporting to the Associate University Librarian for TRL and working alongside the Libraries' Courseware Services lead, the developer will serve as the technical lead for Canvas, Penn's centrally managed courseware system that serves 23,000 students daily. S/he will make technical recommendations and collaborate with campus stakeholders leading the implementation of Penn's Next Generation Student System. The developer will write, document, test, and debug code for new and existing applications; provide second-tier support by verifying, testing, and interfacing with the vendor on new features; and develop and improve integrations with related Penn technical systems and processes. In addition, the developer will also work on other TRL projects such as querying the Springshare library service platform for reporting and trend analysis, and contributing to new initiatives within our Digital Scholarship team. This position is an exciting opportunity for a mid-career developer to participate in a range of cutting edge projects. Working in a fast-paced environment, you will research solutions to fit specific project goals and requirements and will be able to learn and evaluate new technologies quickly. Ideal applicants are passionate about programming solutions that improve teaching and learning at Penn.
* Collaborating with a range of campus stakeholders to develop, document, implement, test, and improve custom Canvas tools and integrations;
* Performing detailed documentation and analysis of existing technical system architectures and workflows;
* Research, design, and implement administrative and reporting tools for platforms managed within TRL including Springshare (library services platform), Drupal (web site), and Bepress (open access repository) to streamline workflows, migrate data as needed, and improve overall system management;
* Proactively participating in Libraries' IT practices and working groups;
* Participating in campus-wide technical working groups to evaluate, enable, test, and recommend new digital tools, platforms, and methods that extend and enhance teaching, learning, and research at Penn; and
* Performing other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: BA/BS required with at least 2-3 years of relevant experience developing and maintaining web-based applications or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Preferred: Demonstrated experience developing web application frameworks like Django and Rails. Experience with Ruby preferred as well as using Bootstrap, and developing integrations and tools using the LTI standard are all highly desirable.
The ideal candidate will have experience with the Canvas or another LMS, demonstrated technical abilities, a strong customer-service orientation, and excellent writing and interpersonal communication skills.
Reference Number: 50-27615
Salary Grade: D
Employment Type: Exempt
Org: Van Pelt Library
Special Requirements: Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Job Family: E-Information Systems/Technology