Director of Athletics
Position: Director of Athletics
Status: 12-month Administrative Faculty position with full benefits package
Salary: Commensurate with experience
The Director of Athletics is responsible for providing vision, leadership, strategic planning and advocacy for the intercollegiate athletic programs. This is an administrative faculty position, which reports to the President. The Director of Athletics is a highly visible position within the College, and must be able to articulate a clear vision of the educational role and mission of athletics at a private, residential, liberal arts college. The Director of Athletics is also responsible for creating an environment that prioritizes sportsmanship and civility.
Earlham seeks an energetic leader who will work with students, faculty, staff, and alumni to manage all aspects of the men's and women's intercollegiate athletic programs and maintain compliance with NCAA, Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference (HCAC), and North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC).
- Recruit, mentor, supervise, retain and evaluate all coaches, administrators and support staff.
- Commits to the principle of diversity, promoting an atmosphere of respect for and sensitivity to the dignity of every person. Initiates a leadership role on campus in this area, and, through diverse hiring pools, strives for gender and ethnic diversity in the institution's administrative and coaching positions.
- Provide leadership and vision to create diverse athletic teams.
- Creates an environment that prioritizes sportsmanship and civility and provides staff members with professional development opportunities, including informing departmental members of policies, procedures, rules and regulations of the NCAA, HCAC, NCAC, Title IX and Earlham College.
- Provide leadership and active involvement in the review and revision of College policies and procedures governing intercollegiate athletics.
- Work collaboratively and closely with the Vice President for Enrollment Management to develop strategies to recruit and enroll student athletes in each incoming class. Ensure that the appropriate number of first year students enroll to meet optimal roster size.
- Develop and maintain an athletics program that works in harmony with the educational mission of Earlham College, in conjunction with the College's Principals and Practices with an emphasis on mentoring students in an intellectually challenging academic environment.
- Prepare and manage operating budgets for intercollegiate teams and supporting areas including athletic training, sports information and general athletics.
- Work closely with the Director of Wellness to schedule team practices and events.
- Provide leadership and guidance to athletic fundraising projects and the use of funds in consultation with the Institutional Advancement office.
- Create and maintain relations with alumni and other support groups that support the college and intercollegiate athletics, particularly the E-Club.
- Manage and supervise the staffing and scheduling of coaching staff in the area of Athletics, Wellness and Physical Education (AWPE) in conjunction with the Director of Wellness.
- Maintain all athletic facilities, including scheduling spaces for intercollegiate competitions, recreational sports and campus community needs.
- Work with coaches to create game schedules that are within the guidelines of the Athletic Scheduling Principles document.
- Manage game official assignments for all sports, including coordinating game management for all athletic events.
- Manage and coordinate team transportation needs.
- Provide leadership and vision in working with students, coaches, faculty, and other members of the Earlham community to successfully integrate and promote the appreciation of athletic events into the overall life of the College.
- Positively represent Earlham at regional and national athletic associations and conferences and all off-campus constituency groups.
- Work with the Athletics Advisory Committee to establish its yearly agenda.
- Create and maintain cooperative relations with College departments, offices, and programs including representing Athletics as a member of College committees.
- In collaboration with Alumni Relations, assist with the coordination of the annual Alumni Awards Banquet.
- Produce internal and NCAA reports about athletic recruiting, student/athlete retention and ethnicity, NCAA Sports Sponsorship and Demographics (August), Department of Education Equity in Athletics (October) and the NCAA Financial report (January) and other required reports.
- All other duties as assigned.
- A master's degree is required with a minimum of 5 years of direct experience with Athletic Director responsibilities in a collegiate setting.
- Possesses skills in supervision, budget projections, trend analysis, and personnel practices.
- Demonstrates dynamic, creative leadership and excellent management skills.
- Has the ability to partner effectively with faculty, staff, alumni and parents.
- Is imaginative, highly motivated and well-organized.
- Has the ability to work in a community that values consensus and teamwork.
- Demonstrates personal and professional commitment to diversity.
- Is committed to the NCAA Division III Philosophy and the role of Athletics within a private, liberal arts college.
- Possesses excellent community building and strong human relations skills including a deep appreciation of diversity are valuable assets as well as a commitment to the mission, values, and goals of Earlham College.
Salary is commensurate with experience; 12-month appointment with full-benefit package.
Please send a letter of application that addresses the various responsibilities of the position; resume; and the name, position title, email address and phone number of three professional references in a single PDF or MS Word file to:
Human Resources Office
801 National Road West
Richmond, Indiana 47374-4095
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
Earlham College continues to build a community that reflects the gender and racial diversity of the society at large, and, therefore, we are particularly interested in inviting and encouraging applications from African Americans, other ethnic minorities, and women. Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers). Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Earlham utilizes E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility for all newly hired employees within the United States.
POSITION Director of Athletics
REQ NUMBER ATH-18-00001
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION Earlham College, an independent, residential college, aspires to provide the highest quality undergraduate education in the liberal arts, including the sciences, shaped by the distinctive perspectives of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers). Earlham emphasizes the pursuit of truth, lack of coercion, respect for others, openness to new truth, integrity and application of what is known to improving our world.
Earlham College and the Earlham School of Religion are located in Richmond, Indiana, a city of about 39,000. Founded in 1847 by the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers), Earlham College is an independent, four-year, coeducational, residential institution of higher learning. Approximately 1,200 undergraduate students attend Earlham College on its 800-acre tree-shaded campus. Earlham College offers Bachelor of Arts degrees in 40 disciplinary and interdisciplinary fields, as well as permitting self-designed studies and a cooperative program in engineering. Master of Arts in Teaching and Master of Education degrees also are offered at Earlham College.
EOE STATEMENT Earlham College, an independent, residential college, aspires to provide the highest-quality undergraduate education in the liberal arts, including the sciences, shaped by the distinctive perspectives of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
This position is currently accepting applications.