Campus Technology Technician Lead (NorthEast)
Technical lead for campus IT projects, deployments and technical support escalations. Provides senior level support for imaging, VDI and IT Service Support Management Tools. Provides senior level support for computers, software and related technology used at multiple campuses/locations. Coordinates and oversees all administrative technical support for Executives. Leads, coordinates and guides technical activities of regional hardware/software technicians when Regional Manager is unavailable. Operates with high level of confidentiality.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provide onsite and offsite technical computer support for Executive Administration and support staff;
- Install and provide senior level troubleshooting for PC, cabling, network, telephony, printers, Wi-Fi, peripherals and audio visual/classroom/lab technology and applications;
- Provide timely end user support based on incoming tickets, phone calls or e-mails;
- May assign work orders and troubleshoot tickets to technicians;
- Provide escalated support for high priority requests or complex technical problems;
- Ensure a current inventory of equipment is maintained for assigned area(s);
- Drive the evaluation and testing of new campus hardware and software;
- Provide senior level "event support" at HCC offices;
- Promote security awareness to customers through actions and advocacy;
- Develop and maintain superior working relationships with all customers and IT;
- Set up and maintain computer-training classrooms;
- Select, evaluate and recommend purchase of appropriate hardware and software;
- Install, administer and operate imaging, VDI and Service Management Support systems;
- Cross train with Core Information Services (CIS) and Cyber Security and Networks (CSN) to understand and assist with basic application, server, security, and network functionality, use, and troubleshooting techniques, including but not limited to cabling, wireless, switching and security systems;
- Cross trains other technicians in CTS with respect to CIS and CSN infrastructure.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above. The qualifications listed below are representative of the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
Associate's degree or certification in Computer Science or a related field required. Four (4) years recent experience in hardware/software technical support may be considered in lieu of degree.
A+ Certification or ability to obtain certification in one year required.
Apple Certified Support Professional is preferred.
ITIL Foundations V3 is preferred.
Four (4) years of PC hardware/software installation and software troubleshooting required.
Experience in desktop, servers and data communications equipment required.
Experience with PeopleSoft strongly preferred.
Experience in image management, VDI and Service Support Management tools (e.g. BMC, Service Now, etc.) is highly desired.
Experience leading projects is desired.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of Mac OS, iOS, Windows and Microsoft Office Suite;
- Solid understanding of network environments (wired and wireless);
- Strong working knowledge of desktop applications and peripherals;
- Knowledge of IT security best practices;
- Knowledge of VPN client set up & connections;
- Knowledge of web/video conferencing & other remote meeting tools and equipment;
- Knowledge of server and workstation hardware and software;
- Knowledge of LAN / WAN basics;
- Flexible and able to travel locally as required;
- Comprehensive knowledge of LAN protocols and configurations;
- Knowledge of server and workstation hardware and software;
- Able to effectively communicate technical information to users of all skill levels;
- Demonstrated advanced competencies in PC hardware/software installation and troubleshooting;
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds;
- Must have reliable transportation to occasionally travel to other HCC locations;
- and Subject to working nights, week-ends and holidays.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
This job description may be revised upon development of other duties and changes in responsibilities.
Houston Community College (HCC) is an open-admission, public institution of higher education offering a high-quality, affordable education for academic advancement, workforce training, career development and lifelong learning to prepare individuals in our diverse communities for life and work in a global and technological society. We're proud to say that 98 percent of our graduates step into a job in their field of study immediately upon graduation. One of the largest community colleges in the nation, HCC has served the Greater Houston area for over four decades. Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the Schools Commission on Colleges, we offer 300+ associate degree and certificate programs to 75,000+ students across 13 Centers of Excellence and online each semester. We are proud to be No.1 among all community colleges in the nation in providing associate degrees to minorities and No.1 in educating international students, with 10.4 percent of our student population from outside the USA. Our vision is to become the Employer of Choice in support of our mission for Student Success by attracting, retaining and motivating the best employees.
Houston is a city with limitless possibilities:
- Fourth-largest city in the U.S. and home to 54 Fortune 500 companies, second only to New York City's 55.
- Approximately 145 languages are spoken here.
- Overall after-taxes living costs are 5.6 percent below the average for all 308 urban areas recently surveyed.
- Houston is a major-league sports town, and don't forget the annual Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo.
- The weather is great! Mild winters ensure that outdoor activities can be enjoyed year-round.
- World-renowned medical care. The Houston metro area has long been known for its first-rate healthcare system, with many Houston area hospitals consistently ranking among the nation's top institutions.
- With over 150 museums and cultural institutions in the Greater Houston area, museums are a large part of Houston's cultural scene.
- Houston is the Culture & Culinary Capital of Texas with more than 7,500 restaurants and eating establishments covering 60+ cuisines.
If this sounds like the role for you and you're ready to join an amazing team, please apply right away.
Houston Community College does not discriminate on the bases of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation or veteran's status. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
David Cross, Director EEO/Compliance, Title IX Coordinator
Office of Institutional Equity
PO Box 667517
Houston TX, 77266
713 718.8271 or Institutional.Equity@hccs.edu
HCC values its employees and their contributions, promotes opportunities for their professional growth and development, and provides a positive working and learning environment that encourages diversity, innovation and creativity, and inclusion.
Individuals with disabilities, who require special accommodations to interview, should contact (713) 718-8565.