Laborer (2nd Shift)
Laborer (2nd Shift)
As a living, learning and working community, Susquehanna University affirms its commitment to being an engaged, culturally inclusive campus. As we seek to embody the rich diversity of the human community, we commit ourselves to the full participation of persons who represent the breadth of human difference. The university encourages candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply. Susquehanna University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Susquehanna University is a national liberal arts college committed to excellence in educating students for productive, creative and reflective lives of achievement, leadership and service in a diverse, dynamic and interdependent world. Its more than 2,200 undergraduates come from 35 states and 22 countries, and all students study away through Susquehanna's unique Global Opportunities program. Susquehanna University's 325 acre campus, noted for its beauty, is located in Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania, 50 miles north of Harrisburg in the scenic Susquehanna River Valley, about a three hour drive from Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., and New York City. For more information, please visit https://www.susqu.edu.
Performs a variety of semi-skilled tasks and duties in support of the campus community. Overtime availability and thorough on-the-job training is required.
• Follow instructions on daily work orders. Deliver mail, furniture, equipment, supplies, and construction materials; perform set-ups for various University departments.
• Seed and mow grass; trim and edge lawns; gather and bag leaves; prune, weed, plant, and maintain all landscape materials.
• Remove snow and ice from walks and driveways; spread ice melt using small power and hand tools. Work in extreme and extended circumstances as necessary.
• Assist in cleaning and repairing damages caused by wind, rain, and ice storms, including emergency situations.
• Collect bagged waste and discarded items at building sites and deliver to collection area. Remove debris from campus grounds on an ongoing basis.
• Assist carpenters, plumbers, painters, electricians, and housekeepers as assigned.
• Maintain complete familiarity with safety rules and procedures in the performance of assigned duties. Request additional training as needed.
• Maintain complete familiarity with operation and basic maintenance of job-related equipment and supplies. Request additional training as needed.
• Understand and follow all safety rules.
• Contributes to the overall success of facilities management and the university by performing other duties and responsibilities as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
Knowledge of and ability to safely use the following equipment: Plastic bags with waste, up to 15 lbs.; Extension ladders, @ 16 ft. to 60 ft., 38 lbs. to 100 lbs.; Stepladders; wood, aluminum, and fiberglass @ 3 ft. to 12 ft., 22 lbs. to 77 lbs.; Tractor; Push Mower; Gas Powered Blowers; Hedge trimmers, electric and manual; Chain saw, 20 lbs.; Furniture carts; Scaffolding up to 50 ft. high – 40 lbs. per end section; Hand tools: shovel, sledge hammer, pick ax, post hole digger, common mechanics hand tools; Power tools: drills, saws, and grinder. The ability to receive and interpret instructions and to maintain a flexible work schedule.
High school diploma or equivalent
Work routines involve climbing scaffolding, stairs, and step ladders; bending; lifting many and various items; creeping on knees; raking and shoveling; pushing and pulling mowers.
• Lifts various weights up to 100 lbs. on a frequent basis.
• Pushes or pulls various weights up to 100 lbs. on a frequent basis.
• Carries various weights up to 100 lbs. on a frequent basis.
Valid driver's license are preferred.
Special Instructions to the Applicant
This position is for second shift working 3:00pm-11:30pm
For full application instructions and position description, visit