Instructional Support Associate – Digital Platform Administrator
Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative and nontraditional teaching and learning.
The college continues its 47-year commitment experimenting with new, flexible, and individualized modes of learning through such practices as mentoring students throughout their academic studies, creating individualized degree plans, valuing learning gained from life and work experience, building professional and social student support communities and creating flexible modes of delivery to meet students' diverse learning preferences. The college now boast over 75,000 proud and successful alumni and partners with nearly 20,000 students a year who want to expand their personal and professional horizons.
Empire State College is a part of the SUNY System and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, ESC serves mostly working adults pursuing associate, bachelor's and master's degrees online and onsite at 35 locations across the state of New York and abroad.
SUNY Empire State College, Office of Information Technology Services, seeks a Digital Platform Administrator (State title: Instructional Support Associate) for our Downstate, Capital or Western New York State Regions.
This key position reports to the Director for Educational and Emerging Technologies (EET) and assists with the management and administration of supported digital platforms, including the learning management system and the video-based content delivery network. The Digital Platform Administrator (DPA) collaborates with other EET staff to maintain and improve high quality systems and coordinate how they can be leveraged in the existing and future digital platforms employed by the college.
- Serves as administrative support for the Learning Management System (LMS) and for the Competency Based Education (CBE) platforms communicating directly with the vendor's engagement and support teams
- Serves as lead administrator for LEARNscape (Kaltura) video server
- Manages ESCTV installations and content management system (Display 5), the college's digital signage system
- Coordinates with other EET staff to build out and maintain Educational and Emerging Technologies service catalog, complete with SLAs, workflows, and triage processes
- Serves as Tier 2/3 support for ITS-maintained learning spaces and systems
- Researches and tests possible LTI integrations with existing systems
- Understands end user needs by performing regular assessments on existing supported digital platforms
- Collaborates with other DPAs, educational technologists and ITS training coordinators to create training materials for all supported digital platforms
- Develops multimedia visual aids and co-hosts virtual webinars to transfer learning
- Tracks usage of educational technologies in both virtual and physical spaces across the college
Required Knowledge, Ability, and Skills
- Experience providing technical support for learning management systems (e.g. Moodle, Canvas, Blackboard)
- Experience with innovative instructional modalities (e.g. active learning, competency-based learning)
- Understanding of accessibility and assistive technology best practices and guidelines
- Clear understanding of service management and support processes
- Excellent problem solving and time management skills
- Demonstrated experience with video production software (e.g. Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro)
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Strong level of attention to detail and multitasking capability
- Ability to work under own initiative and as part of a team
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Communications Media, or related field
- Two or more years' experience providing technical support and/or administration for learning management systems
- Advanced degree in a related field
- Two or more years' experience working in a higher education environment
- Experience with virtual machines or related softwares (VMWare, Citrix)
- May involve occasional travel
- VISA sponsorship is not available for this position
- This position may be located at our Downstate, Capital or Western New York State Regions
Rank/Salary: $50,000+, commensurate with experience.
Applications Due by: March 30th, 2018
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security