Director of Financial Aid
ABOUT CLAREMONT LINCOLN UNIVERSITY:
VISION: The vision of Claremont Lincoln University is a world that lives by the golden rule; a world in which disputes between those that have conflicting views are addressed peacefully without violence.
MISSION: The mission of Claremont Lincoln University is to be a place where students learn how to treat others as they would like to be treated. Students learn the skills necessary to understand differences among religions, governments, other organizations, and individuals; how to respect those differences; and how to cooperate and collaborate with those of different viewpoints to resolve problems between them peacefully without violence. Our students will integrate self-knowledge with critical perspectives and contemporary skills to create sustainable social change-how to implement the golden rule. Claremont Lincoln University embeds the golden rule in the Claremont Core® which teaches the skills of mindfulness, dialogue, collaboration, and change.
COMPASSION – Follow the Golden Rule: Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you.
INTEGRITY - Be consistent and transparent in our values, actions and outcomes.
RESPECT – Value and be mindful of others’ views and traditions.
DILIGENCE – Have a commitment to continually improve and the strength to make a difference.
INDIVIDUAL RESPONSIBILITY – Hold ourselves accountable; deliver on our promises.
INNOVATION – Strive to define new ways to make education better.
LOYALTY – Support and allegiance to CLU and its mission.
SOCIAL IMPACT – make the world a better place.
SERVICE - provide a quality educational experience to all that encounter CLU.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION: Working independently, under general supervision from the Dean of Student Affairs, the Director of Financial Aid is primarily responsible for implementation of the CLU Financial Aid program, and the processes needed therefor in compliance with state and federal regulations. The Director of Financial Aid assists with necessary publications and website content. Duties and responsibilities are varied and confidential in nature.
All responsibilities are presumed to reflect the effective implementation of best practices. Technology will be leveraged as an enabler whenever practical. Internal controls will be installed to ensure that all activities comply with acknowledged standards of fiduciary due care, non-conflicts of interest and confidentiality.
- Upon receipt of eligibility, administers financial aid processes including: applications, verification, eligibility determinations, packaging, grant awards, loan awards, work-study awards, scholarship awards, return of federal student aid, and professional judgment decisions;
- Performs supervisory and administrative work in the areas of student financial aid eligibility and awarding, customer service, financial aid forms and publications development;
- Directs and coordinates the delivery of student financial aid and the maintenance of student financial aid records.
- Recommends, interprets, and administers and updates financial aid policies ensuring compliance with pertinent federal, state and local laws and contractual regulations;
- Prepares applications and/or proposals for federal, state, and local funds; develops, directs and implements budgetary controls for funds; and prepares department budget proposals;
- Coordinates financial aid operations with other appropriate college units, including Admissions, Student Services and the Business Office;
- Researches, analyzes, develops and recommends departmental processes and procedures to increase/improve operational efficiency and to ensure proper controls and regulatory compliance;
- Oversees and coordinates the Financial Aid office response to program reviews and audits;
- Conducts need analyses and determines individual student eligibility for various aid programs;
- Verifies, documents and maintains student generated information used to determine eligibility for financial aid awards;
- Maintains liaison with Federal, state, county, and other agencies to answer questions, resolve problems, provide data, interpret and apply changes in rules and regulations concerning financial aid;
- Advises students regarding academic arid career objectives in relation to financial aid; reviews students’ status to determine continuance or increase/decrease of aid;
- Develops, updates and presents financial aid information through the use of brochures, literature, and workshops directed toward students, parents and community groups; and maintains and updates Financial Aid office information resource library;
- Reviews and responds to proposed legislation related to financial aid;
- In collaboration with the Business Office, develops and directs a loan default prevention program, and the management of student loan collection activities;
- Prepares a variety of Financial Aid program related reports and correspondence including reports for the Board of Directors;
- Resolves and/or assists in the resolution of problems and/or complaints and initiates corrective action as appropriate; and
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in business, public administration, social sciences, or a closely related field and demonstrated successful progressively responsible experience in financial aid.
- Minimum of five years of financial aid experience required. Supervisory experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of current financial aid needs analysis methodology and federal and state financial aid program guidelines;
- Knowledge of the principles of individual appraisal, including interviewing and advisement techniques, pertinent laws, rules and regulations;
- Systems control auditing processes, and working knowledge of data systems;
- Possession of effective oral and written communication skills along with the ability to work with students of diverse cultural and economic backgrounds;
- Demonstrated proficiency in management of financial aid need analysis, packaging and required revisions;
- Ability to interpret Federal and state financial aid regulations;
- Demonstrated analytical, organizational and supervisory skills;
- Ability to consistently perform under the pressure of deadlines and other administrative demands;
- Experience using or the ability to quickly learn to use relational database systems;
- Proven commitment to provide superior customer service, including exercising tact, maturity and initiative in addressing inquiries and requests;
- Strong attention to detail and adherence to accuracy;
- Stamina to maintain productivity and high-quality work in a high-volume, fast-paced environment with multiple interruptions;
- Ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple concurrent projects and bring to completion by established deadlines and expectations while accommodating frequent interruptions;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English. Excellent interpersonal communication skills. Ability to explain complex information in simple and concise terms to a diverse range of individuals;
- Sense of humor and optimistic outlook on life;
- Ability to be proactive and work independently, as well as collaboratively as part of a team;
- Ability to work effectively, congenially and compassionately with diverse populations;
- Ability to work with and maintain highly confidential information;
- Punctuality and dependability are critical requirements for this position.
Notice: The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Claremont Lincoln University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success. We are committed to building and developing a diverse environment where a variety of ideas, cultures and perspectives can thrive.
Apply for Director of Financial Aid
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly