The Amherst College Loeb Center for Career Exploration and Planning invites applications for the full-time, year round position of internship coordinator (job group and level AO-4). This is a two-year, gift-funded position, with the possibility of renewal. Amherst College has profoundly transformed its student body in terms of socioeconomic status, ethnicity, and nationality, among other areas. Today, nearly one-quarter of Amherst's students are Pell Grant recipients; 45 percent of our studentsidentify as domestic students of color. Our expectation is that the successful candidate will excel at working in a community that is broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion.
The internship coordinator is responsible for the internship program administration and events management of a transformational multi-year project that will create infrastructure for a dramatic expansion of student internships and other work-based learning at Amherst College. The project includes the development of programming that prepares and supports student interns, support for the broad development of work-based learning opportunities, and the implementation of effective student engagement strategies.
Reporting to the assistant director for internship programs, the internship coordinator works closely with Amherst College students, faculty, alumni, employer partners, parents, staff, and external contractors to ensure that Amherst students, particularly under-resourced and first generation college students, access and capitalize on the college's resources, acquire and integrate transferrable skills that prepare them for professional engagement, and create a culture of peer support and knowledge-sharing. The coordinator serves as the Loeb Center's central point of contact for the Center for Community Engagement, Office of the Controller, Office of Financial Aid, and Office of Donor Relations in matters related to summer funding, funds management, and stipend allocation.
The coordinator will work effectively with diverse teams, demonstrate a commitment to continually improving how the center serves Amherst students, and participate in the college's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
The key responsibilities of the position are enumerated below:
Internship Program Administration
- Coordinate logistics for all internship programs, partners, and vendors
- Manage databases with student participation, employer engagement, and evaluation data related to internship programs and activities
- Conduct data entry and aggregation as it relates to the early engagement project
- Maintain communications and marketing calendars, and coordinate communication and marketing activities
- Conduct outreach and follow-up communications with employers and students as requested by assistant director for internship programs
- Provide administrative support to the assistant director for internship programs
- Provide technical support for the summer funding application process and online application portal tool
- Maintain detailed records and shared drives to organize and track applications and funding decisions
- Assist summer funding committee with funding decision processes and communications
- Process and track check requests related to summer funding and provide other financial support functions
- Schedule events and workshops, book spaces and catering, and manage event publicity
- Coordinate staff and peer mentor coverage of events
- Associate's degree, or four years of experience in lieu of degree
- Two years of related experience
- Financial administration skills
- Technologically adept including database management skills, proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly in Excel
- Experience working and learning within diverse teams, and a commitment to effectively serving a diverse student population
- Self-directed, outcome-oriented, and detail-oriented
- Excellent interpersonal, and written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated time management, project management and organizational skills
- Success working both independently and collaboratively
- Experience in a higher education setting
- Experience managing budgets and financial processes
Interestedcandidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information (email and/or telephone numbers) for three professional references. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
ABOUT AMHERST COLLEGE
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college's community is composed of about1,800 students from 48 states, plus Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college's scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm ; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum , Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum ; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst the perfect place to work, learn and live!
Statement of Non-Discrimination
Amherst College does not discriminate in admission, employment, or administration of its programs and activities on the basis of race, national or ethnic origin, color, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender expression, and gender identity), age, disability, genetic information, military service, or any other characteristic or class protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. Amherst College complies with all state and federal laws that prohibit discrimination, including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, Title IX, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Equal Pay Act and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act. Inquiries should be addressed to the Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer , Amherst College, P.O. Box 5000, Amherst, MA 01002-5000.