Payroll Systems Supervisor
Amherst College invites applications for the Payroll Systems Supervisor position. Amherst College has profoundly transformed its student body in terms of socioeconomic status, ethnicity, and nationality, among other areas. Today, nearly one-quarter of Amherst's students are Pell Grant recipients; 45 percent of our studentsidentify as domestic students of color. Our expectation is that the successful candidate will excel at working in a community that is broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion.
The Payroll Systems Supervisor is a full-time, year round position, job group and level SM-2. The Payroll Systems Supervisor is responsible for the administration of the payroll department including the timely and accurate processing of five regularly run payrolls, processing exception based payroll as needed, external/internal reporting, research, compliance, customer service, and supervision of two employees. The Payroll Department is responsible for these functions for both Amherst College and the Folger Shakespeare Memorial Library. The supervisor will also have substantial responsibility for oversight and administration of a new online time and attendance system. The Supervisor takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
Payroll Processes/Time and Attendance
- Directly administer the monthly payroll process
- Oversee the biweekly and weekly payroll processes administered by department staff
- Ensure completeness and accuracy of processes, including gross pay and withholdings
- Prepare internal and external reporting requirements related to each payroll run
- Administer and supervise exception based pay as necessary
- Administer the payroll and timekeeping aspects of Workforce Ready during and post implementation. (Collaborate with Director of Financial Systems & Projects, Human Resources, and IT to complete a phased implementation of Kronos Workforce Ready.)
- Partner with Human Resources to align payroll rules and policy
- Complete external reporting requirements to banks, regulatory agencies, employees, etc., including IRS reporting, Form W-2 preparation, etc.
- Complete internal reporting, including online data used by colleagues/students and data feeds to the general ledger and other internal supporting systems
- Coordinate and administer annual workers compensation premium audits
- Provide requested data during recurring processes including the annual financial statement audit and Form 990 preparation
- Record accounting entries to the general ledger
- Prepare reconciliations between payroll systems to the general ledger, etc.
- Complete close of the calendar year end and fiscal year end
- Independently remain knowledgeable of current regulations and best practices, including changes in IRS guidelines, technology modifications in systems/software currently used or potential future systems/software, etc.
- Research guidelines as necessary from issues identified during routine procedures or requested by colleagues
- Ensure overall compliance with all applicable external regulations and internal policies
- Supervise and develop staff members
- Review, monitor, and maintain compliance with department standards and practices
- Oversee information created and reported by the department for accuracy and completeness
- Communicate to colleagues as necessary regarding changes to internal processes or policies and/or impacts from external agencies
- Create and/or update processes and policies on the office's webpages and communicate directly to colleagues/other offices as necessary
- Create slides and represent the Controller's Office's policies and procedures discussion during new employee orientation meetings
- Bachelor's Degree, or in lieu of Bachelor's Degree, Associates Degree plus 3-5 years related experience, two years of experience with payroll processing, reporting, and reconciling,
- Two years of experience supervising, training, and developing staff
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook, as well as the ability to learn new software
- General knowledge of accounting, general ledger, IRS guidelines, and withholding information
- Excellent customer service skills
- Demonstrated time management, organizational, and problem solving skills
- Experience working collaboratively with a diverse workforce
- Strong verbal and written communication, and interpersonal skills
- Enterprise Resource Planning ("ERP") system experience; specific Ellucian Colleague experience a plus
- Electronic timekeeping system administration and/or general payroll system administration
- General non-profit and/or higher-education workplace experience
Interestedcandidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and the names and contact information (email and/or telephone numbers) for three professional references. Applications will be reviewed until position is filled.
ABOUT AMHERST COLLEGE
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college's community is composed of about1,800 students from 48 states, plus Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college's scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm ; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum , Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum ; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst the perfect place to work, learn and live!
Statement of Non-Discrimination
Amherst College does not discriminate in admission, employment, or administration of its programs and activities on the basis of race, national or ethnic origin, color, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender expression, and gender identity), age, disability, genetic information, military service, or any other characteristic or class protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. Amherst College complies with all state and federal laws that prohibit discrimination, including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, Title IX, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Equal Pay Act and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act. Inquiries should be addressed to the Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer , Amherst College, P.O. Box 5000, Amherst, MA 01002-5000.